Happy Birthday

It is the day after I told my story and I am in bed. I am feeling lazy. Before you can ask, it's because I have my birthday off and unless Buck has anything planned I have the day all to myself. Well, there is one thing that I want to do. That will come later though as I have to get ready for the day. With a few swift movements, I pull myself out of bed. After thirty minutes I am finally ready for the day. After a fifteen-minute walk, I made it to the graveyard where my Dad is buried. It's been a while. Luckily for me, I am quick to find the gravestone that bares my Dad's name.

"Hey, Dad. Sorry, I haven't visited in a while. I've been wrapped up in work. You'd love the crew at the 118. They're the second-best crew that I've had the chance to work with. No one can beat the 110 though," I catch myself talking to my Dad even though I know for a fact that I am not going to get a response. After ten minutes of silence, I am pulled out of my thoughts by a familiar voice.

"I thought I would find you here," Buck remarks as he sits down next to me.

"What do you mean?" I tentatively ask. I definitely didn't tell him that I was here today.

"Well, I was talking to Gavin because I needed to ask him what your most desired birthday present is and I then asked him where you would be today," Buck is being vague. That can only mean one thing. A surprise party.

"What did he tell you about the present?" I ask. I know exactly what he has planned. Ever since I was eleven I had the desire to give piloting a go at least once.

"That would ruin the surprise. Anyway, let's go," Buck avoids answering the question. Well, then I know what I am doing.

"Ok?" I just have to trust Buck.

"How's your arm by the way?" For some reason, he checks on me.

"It's better but why are you asking?" I counter. To be honest I don't think I am going to get any information.

"like I said it will ruin the surprise," Buck is vague again. That means we will be doing something physical. After a twenty-minute drive, we have made it to the local airfield. My hunch was correct. The excitement grows as Buck pulls up. As we leave the car we are joined by someone who I assume is our flight instructor.

"You must be Ella and Evan," The man calls out.

"Yes," Buck responds. It is weird hearing him be referred to as Even. The only people that use his proper first name are his family.

"Follow me," He says as he turns around. After following him for a couple of minutes we made it to the briefing room where we were met by some of the off-duty members of the 118. Even Daniel is here despite his commitments to the dispatch centre. The thing is they didn't have to go all out. Still, I am going to try my best to enjoy my day.

"Happy Birthday Ella," Howie calls out as the others shuffle out of his way revealing an ambulance-themed cake.

"We're having the cake after your joy flight though," Daniel puts an end to the speculation. Of course. After what feels like the longest ten minutes the briefing has come to an end. The flight instructor leads Buck and I to a pair of jets. They must be old military trainers.

"I couldn't let you have all of the fun," Buck remarks as we climb into the cockpits of our respective aircraft. The excitement grows as the instructor gets the plane ready for takeoff. I wonder how many favours Buck owes now. It must be a lot.

"Ella, as soon as the air traffic controller gives us clearance, I want you to push the leavers by your left knee all the way forward. Then at my command pull the joystick towards you," The flight instructor remarks.

"Ok," I say as the instructor guides the plane to the end of the runway. After a few seconds of waiting the air traffic controller gives us the required take-off clearance. As soon as they do I follow the instructor's instructions. It doesn't take as long to get into the air. After ten minutes of cruising over LA, my headset crackles to life.

"Are you enjoying the view?" It's Buck.

"Yes. I'm just wondering, how many favours do you owe?" I get the obvious question out of the way.

"Two. One to Daniel and the other to Gavin," Buck explains. Fifty minutes later we are back on the ground. I'm glad that Buck was the one that organised the party however I feel like it was a little bit extravagant for a second date. I'm not complaining as I know Buck is going to try everything to keep me as his girlfriend. The thing is he doesn't have to worry. There is a part of me that feels a little guilty that Dad wasn't able to see his little girl do something that she wanted to do.

"Hey Buck, that was the best birthday celebration that I've had for a while," I say as we walk back to the briefing rooms. The minute we get back the party begins. After the most awkward happy birthday song ever Daniel starts distributing the cake. I am hit by another pang of sadness. Gavin is quick to pull me aside.

"You miss Dad. Don't you?" He checks on me.

"Of course. The thing is I am just going to have to enjoy my day. It's what he would want," I responded. Before Gavin can reply Buck Joins us. He has two slices of cake.

"Anyway I think you should have some cake," Buck remarks as he passes one of the slices to me. He was clearly eavesdropping.

"Thank you," I say before taking a bite of the cake. My mouth is hit by a bomb of sweetness. To be honest I just need to enjoy my day today as something tells me that tomorrow is going to be a day I'd rather forget.