Chapter 2: Turner Name

***

It was safe to say a lot of things were running through the Headmaster's mind. For starters, what the consequences of this break in time would conclude with. There had only been one known instance of someone travelling so far in time; Eloise Mintumble. She had began her journey in 1899, and was sent to 1402, where she spent a mere 5 days. Upon returning, she instantly aged those 5 centuries, eventually succumbing to them in St Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries. Unfortunately, the tragedies did not end there, for her 5 days in the past had disrupted a number of life paths, leading to twenty-five individuals to being unborn. This was followed by the fabric of time being affected too, in unimaginable ways. Sixty hours, was how long the first Tuesday after her return took. As for Thursday, it was only four. 

Once time was restored, laws and penalties were installed to prevent such mishap from happening again. It had not been Sandy's fault, but, she had infringed these, and as a result had no way back. Time-Turners were only designed to take one to the past, and back. However, they could not simply take one to the future. As such, this meant that Sandy was stuck in 1975, with the consequences of this still unknown. 

However, this was not all that Dumbledore wondered about. He had a multitude of questions regarding Voldemort and his Death Eaters, given that this young woman had engaged in a fight with the latter in 1998. The Dark Lord had began his war only 5 years prior. Was it possible it would last for nearly 3 decades? He had no knowledge of his future (temporary) defeat nor the years of peace in between the two wars. So, he had to ask. "That certainly complicates things. However, I'm afraid I have something to ask before we address that. Death Eaters are still at large in your time?"

Sandy's eyes widened in realization. She had already slipped up. "I-umm, am I allowed to answer that?" After a a small encouraging nod, she looked down at Fawkes, whom looked up with a serenity she lacked. Shallowing, she tried to not provide too much information. "Ummm, yes and no. The First Wizarding War, which I believe its taking place now, ends with You-Know-Who- ummm, with Voldemort's death. Many Death Eaters are imprisoned, although some manage to convince the Ministry that their actions were caused by the Imperious Curse, and returned to their normal lives. But then, Voldemort came back, and started another war, freeing Death Eaters from Azkaban, got those that blamed the Imperious Curse, and recruited new ones too."

"And you were battling here, at Hogwarts?" This time, he was the one to receive a nod. "I see. He mastered death then?"

"They're called horcruxes-" Instantly, she cursed in her mind. "-and I probably shouldn't have told you about those either. I really need to go back before I make things worse!"

Dumbledore knew what those were. The darkest form of magic. And Sandy seemed to refer to them as plural. Multiple. That was something unimaginable. However, seeing her distress, Dumbledore decided to stop with the questions and address her situation instead. Perhaps, if she was calm, he could acquire more information that would aid him with defeating Tom Riddle. So, for now, he would have to try to help. "What were you doing with a Time-Turner in the first place?"

That's when she recalled the reason she had grabbed it from his office, while Neville took the Sorting Hat (with the latter being capable of summoning Gryffindor's sword, to destroy the last horcruxes). "Well, you gave it to me. Said I had to have it. Well, sort of."

"For what purpose?"

She shrugged. Rather than the obvious part of time-travelling, Sandy honestly did not understand its purpose. "I have no idea. The letter from you will didn't say much." It wasn't until she spoke the word out loud that she realized her mistake.