Chapter 58: Petunia Evans

***

Two days after her visit to the Potter residence, she was visiting Harry's other side of the family. It was an odd way and short frame to meet them both, but, alas, fate had decided for her. "And you're certain she's a late-bloomer?" Sandy murmured towards the two-way compact mirror, to 'Cassandra', her other self that had remained in her timeline. 

She could see own face nodding in the mirror, something Sandy considered quite unusual. Granted, this was a sentiment shared by them both, since, technically, they were the same person, only living different lives since the Battle of Hogwarts. "Yes. Petunia Dursley, whom will be Petunia Evans to you, has just been found out to be a late-bloomer at 38." They had discussed this right after Sandy returned from the Potter residence. Cassandra had found a charm in the very spell book that Sandy had coincidentally taken from the vault (she supposed, the same mind was bound to think alike) that had very interesting effects. It was Ancient Magic, and, if performed correctly, it would allow the magic to emerge from Squib or a late-bloomer. Before coming here, Sandy had tested the spell (under Dumbledore's inquisitive eyes) on Hogwarts' infernal caretaker, Argun Finch (whom, at this time was in his 20-30, she believed), and also on Arabella Fig (whom Dumbledore trusted so much that she had kept an eye on Harry throughout his childhood in the other timeline). The spell had worked on both, with the former choosing to quit his job and get a private tutor for magic, vowing against ever working with children again, while Arabella too decided to properly learn magic, after expressing her gratitude much more enthuthiastically. 

In addition to them, there had been other Squibs she had cast the spell on, with the Ministry's permission. These included Gilderoy Lockheart's two older sisters (he was in 1st year, his sisters would now enter halfway-into their 3rd and 4th years respectively after the Christmas break), Dolores Umbridge's younger brother (whom would enter his 2nd year), and a second cousin of the Prewetts.  She had actually turned off the effects of her anti-Trace rune for a bit, as the Ministry had given her permission to cast this spell out of Hogwarts, given the 'great achievement' of her rediscovery of the charm. Sandy wasn't about to expose herself by letting them know she was casting spells around the UK, and them not being able to detect them. Additionally, she had also been forced through an interview, as Dumbledore believed this was important, and had made the front page news this morning on the Daily Prophet.

Now, however, it was time for Petunia. Knowing that children could not be 'unborn' in this timeline, since there was technically not a future yet, just 'possibilities', she decided to not feel guilty over the implications this would have on Petunia's future. In fact, she believed that she was likely better off without Vernon. That man was insufferable. "And you've used this spell successfully on Mrs Dursley?"

"And Dudley too! It works. Trust me. Or rather, trust yourself?" Cassandra let out a snicker at that from the mirror. 

Sandy nodded, seeing now the house. Once more, she had taken the Knight bus. Unlike with the Potters, she would be unable to use the Floo Network to get back, as the Evans did not have it installed in their home. However, this was important, so, if it meant taking the bloody nauseous bus again, then she would. Sandy hoped that perhaps, this might help mend the relationship between the Evans sisters, as magic had been one of the main reasons for their estrangement. "Okay, well, wish me luck then."