Five

"What are those for?"

You ask Rowan after he handed you two journals, one is a dark green journal, meanwhile the other is dark blue.

On the green one, the name 'Laylit' is carved on the cover, while 'Kyalit' is carved on the blue one.

"Those journals belong to the ancient rulers-" you cut him off.

"I know, I mean why did you give those journals to me?" your advisor raises an eyebrow.

"You are the one who asked me for them last week, do you not remember?"

You nod your head slowly, enchanted by the covering of the journals, and how each is decorated differently.

"Oh, yes, now I remember" you lie under your breath

While you flip through the pages only to discover that there are pages cut out from Kyalit's journal.

"What happened to those pages?"

"It is said that the ancient emperor cut them out for some unknown personal reasons"

The answer made you more curious about his reasoning.

You have a feeling that those removed pages might have continued some dark thoughts.

"It seems like David could not do anything after all"

Rowan changes the subject as he mentions the emperor of the west out of nowhere, pulling you out of your thoughts.

It has been a month since David's mother passed away and his threat to have a war after you turned down his marriage proposal.

Even if you accepted his proposal there would be still a war because his and your people won't accept such treachery.

And even if they do accept it, you can't simply marry a man who killed his own mother.

If David did that to his mother, the one who gave birth to him, the one who made him a great king, the one who boosted his popularity among poor people.

What will he do to you?

"Don't be so trustful, I'm sure that he is up to no good" you assert.

"Do not worry, my queen, we are prepared for his dirty tactics" You smile at Rowan as leans closer to you.

"Rowan?"

"Keep your distance away from me, and know your position, you are only my advisor, it's for your own good"

His expression turns into a shocked one.

"Are you threatening me?"

His tone wasn't angry rather sad and surprised.

"No, I'm saying that to avoid ruining your reputation and mine" you explain.

"You are doing that to protect me?"

"Yes"

You lie, hoping that he buys it and leaves you alone.

But instead, it made him more confident.

"No," he says sternly.

"Excuse me?"

"I always obey your orders, but this is the only time I won't do it"

He grabs your hand gently and kisses your forehead, before pulling away and sweetly smiling.

"I will never let you out of my sight, your majesty"