Encounter

Him

He stretches himself in his huge bed. A frown settles on his forehead due to body pain caused by several hours of training and work. The new life of a Khalifa wasn't so easy for Khalid, there was an increase in expectations and responsibilities.

He gets up and sits on his bed while resting his back on the bed's headboard. His room is dark and cool, all the curtains are drawn, a perfect environment for him to rest a little more but he can't. Today is going to be another very tiring day for him.

Someone knocks on his door.

"Come in." He answers in his deep voice.

The wazir (Vizier) Mir Zaman and his bestfriend and the wazir's right hand Hamdan bin Hasnawi.

"Marhaba Khalifa." Mir Zaman greets him to which he nods. "The people wish to see you. I think it's time you hold a meeting."

"I'd like to see what's going on in my kingdom before I meet my people. Today it's not possible, by the end of the week I'll give you a date. You can then call them for a visit." He says finally getting out of bed.

"So you will be going out today ?" The wazir asks.

"Yes but in disguise. Hamdan will be accompanying me."

"As you wish." And he excuses himself and leaves.

"Why don't you get up and take a shower while I ask the staff to prepare your breakfast. Should I ask them to bring in it in your chamber ?" Hamdan asks.

"Hmmm but don't ask them to prepare too much. I don't have much of an appetite." Khalid says and goes to take a shower.

Today he dresses into normal clothes and wears his keffiyeh in a way that it covers his face. After breakfast Khalid and Hamdan are walking down the corridors only to be stopped by Khurram Hijazi, his late father's assistant.

"Khalid" he calls him casually. "Where are you going ?" He inquiers.

"None of your business." He replies.

"Of course it is. You keep lurking around here and there, ignoring your responsibilities." He scoffs.

"I must remind you that you're talking to the Khalifa. And you are no longer in charge of any position and it's you who's lurking around the palace without permission. And you were the advisor to the late king so it's unclear to me what you're doing here." Hamdan grits his teeth.

"I don't take orders from you boy ! " Khurram snaps back.

"But you are to follow whatever I say. And neither will I allow you to speak to my bestfriend like that and I don't want to see you in my palace any longer. As Hamdan mentioned you lost your rank the moment my father passed away but it was his wish that you are allowed to live in the palace as long as you wish but if you do such things I can't very well throw you out any moment I want." Khalid replies coldly.

Khurram on the other hand is too stunned to speak.

"I..." he begins to argue but does not manage to find words. "You'll regret this. Anyways you have changed everything you're father started. And no good comes...."

"I didn't change much, I only rectified certain things." Khalid shrugs. "For example the harem. It's clearly prohibited in the religion and whatever goes on in it and I sent back those girls to their families so that they can have a better life and yes another thing I corrected was dismissing not worthy enough people from the administration. I will do as wish." He says.

"After all I am the Khalifa. Not you." He adds with a glare, trying to keep his calm.

Khurram argues no longer and walks away.