Feelings

Him

"And what about the new soldiers that have been recruited ?" Khalid flips through the pages of the record book. " How much pay are they getting ?"

Hamdan doesn't answer.

"What's wrong with you today ? You've been lost since morning." Khalid places the book down and looks up at him.

"Nothing." Hamdan looks away.

"Well it is certainly something. Tell me."

"I...It's complicated."

"Go ahead."

Hamdan looks at him all confused and sceptical. Khalid gestures him to speak while taking a sip of his tea.

"Remember I told you about Jamal's daughter, Taiba." Khalid nods. " Today morning when I went to his house he wasn't present, she was there and I gave her the letter and we spoke a little and then while leaving I tripped and I was about to fall but she grabbed my arm and then....."

"Then ?" Khalid asks with a playful smile.

"And then you know we.....we kind of stared at each for a little too long and.."

"And you thought she's pretty." Khalid smirks.

"Yes. No ! Wait that's not correct." Hamdans says embarrassed.

"You just agreed to it." Khalid laughs.

"You stop teasing me."

"Even though I am teasing you but it's true. Now I get why are you so lost, can't stop thinking about her ?"

Hamdan looks at him with a tired face.

"Go on lie about this too."

"Even if I lied to you it's not that you wouldn't know." He says pushing Khalid's shoulder. " Anyways I'm really confused. After all it can't be love."

"Why not ?"

"How can I fall in love ?" He says with disbelief as if it is an impossible thing.

"Even animals can love unconditionally. Your human."

"Yes but this has never happened before..."

"Aren't you the biggest idiot ? Are you supposed to feel strongly for every woman you meet ?" Khalid asks annoyed.

"No but how can I be sure that it's love ?"

Khalid places all the books back in there places and then sits beside Hamdan.

"When the early morning sunlight falls on the grass does it make any sound ? But it still feels warm and comfortable right ?" Hamdan nods. "It's the same with love. It comes without warning, without any noise yet it's the best thing that will ever happen to you provided it's the right person."

"She's nice." Hamdan quickly defends her. "She can be a bit cranky at times but I guess we all are like that."

"Defending her already ? And yet you say you don't love her."

"See I'm certain that I've started to like but I am not sure if I love her. And more importantly what if she doesn't think the same."

"What if she is ?"

"Allah knows best." He says throwing his hands in the air.

"Certainly he does. So if you both are truly meant for each other you will eventually be together. Leave it in his care."

"Hmmm. Anyways enough about me. What have you thought about Noor ?"

"Why will I think about her at all ?"