Chapter seven

It was funny how the most terrifying things could feel like best one's.

I woke up in Pan's arms.

The camp was silent, everyone else was gone. The only other person beside Pan and me was-

My heart stopped for a moment.

His small body leaned against a log, his head hanging down. He was sleeping. But even with his face not visible I could easily say who I saw. My brother. Henry.

I wanted to jump up, to run to him and hug him. To tell him that we'll be rescued. That they're gonna come for us and take us back home. That everything will be alright again. Everything that I knew and that could lighten up his little heart. Yes, I think I would've loved to say that. To give him hopes to believe in. But the moment I was about to lift myself of Pan was the moment I held in.

It wasn't true.

We wouldn't be rescued.
We wouldn't be taken home.
We wouldn't be in a situation where everything is alright.
He would.

I would be left here once they got Henry. My mother would most likely leave me here as a reason for Pan not to follow her and her, not blood related, son. And before I could have the bad, heartless thought of lying to the only person I would trust with my heart, Pan's voice appeared like a diamond in my ears. So pure and magical but yet sharp when to touch.

„You are not allowed to tell him that you're family is here." I glanced at him. Kept silent. Nodded. He knew the thoughts in my head, he knew in how much pain I was and how much I would hate myself if I were to make this decision on my own. So he took the guilt of me, making him the one the blame would fall on. But I couldn't care about that. All thoughts in my head repeated themselves over and over again as I took another glance at Henry.

Why was he to be rescued? Why was I to be left back? Didn't I do enough to earn a place in our family? I banned those questions from my head and focused on the fact that still mattered most now. I had Henry here so even if I stayed behind, Henry should leave. But how? I was trapped here with him and I wouldn't tell him about our family. Still, leaving him trapped here on Neverland? There was only one solution that sounded acceptable to me. A solution that neither Pan nor my family would enjoy but this was, for once, what I would really enjoy. Rescuing Henry and Henry only. Not me, not my family, not anyone else. Just Henry, on my own.

"Thank you for letting me see him." I finally answered, glancing at Pan with a tired smile. He simply nodded and let go of my waist to allow me to move. I got up and made me way over to Henry, glancing back at Pan every once in a while to make sure he was really agreeing to a conversation between Henry and me.

Once I reached Henry's lifeless looking body, I slowly sat down next to him and cupped his cheeks with my hands.

"Henry..." I whispered to him. He didn't move. Only his chest raised every few seconds when he took a breath. But after calling his name a few more times he started to slowly wake up. At first it was just humming sounds, no sign of movement. But then, having the morning sun shining at him, he opened his eyes and held a hand above his head to try and block the sun.

Then his turned towards me.

"Y/n?!" He screamed, more happy than I could've ever imagined him to be. "You're here?"

I nodded and smiled at him.

"I am."

"Is my family here, too? Are they gonna rescue us?" As quick as he could bring a smile on my face, he could take it.

"Not exactly..."

"What do you mean? Did Pan catch them?"

"No...he caught me...I was trying to rescue you but he caught me."