Episode 6: Audition Preparation

Silence.

In the office after Cheol-min left, the only sound heard was the rustling of paper as Yeon-woo turned the pages of the script. Before he knew it, Yeon-woo was completely immersed in the scenario and had started reading the script.

The script that Yeon-woo received included only the short segments from the later part of the webtoon where the supporting character needed for the audition made their first appearance. Even this content was likely to be continuously modified until the actual filming started.

The original webtoon tells the story of a fashion design student named Jeong Yeoreum, who dreams of attending Paris Fashion Week. To earn the money for the trip, she teams up with her school friends to transform an unused storage room into a clothing store called ‘Summer Promise’

Looking at the contents of the first three episodes, it seemed that the adaptation had slightly amplified the love triangle between the main male and female characters from the original webtoon.

‘This part needs to carry a bright atmosphere within the drama, so try to make it as lively as possible…’

Yeon-woo muttered to himself as he read through the script.

While annotating the script to the point of blackening, Yeon-woo immersed himself in each character, analyzing them with empathy.

“As I imagine acting it out myself, honestly, the main characters seem appealing.”

Due to the light and fast-paced nature of the romantic comedy genre, supporting characters couldn’t be too overpowering. Thus, most of the scenes involved them acting in harmony with the main actors or performing relatively comedic acts to brighten the drama’s atmosphere.

However, seeing the main characters, who had lively and finely crafted personalities, made Yeon-woo naturally feel ambitious.

“But someday, I’ll have a chance to take on such roles, so I should think of this as practice.”

After concluding the analysis of the characters, Yeon-woo switched on the camcorder in the practice room, stood in front of it, and read the lines. Then, as he had imagined in his mind, he delivered them.

“What’s this, Jeong Yeoreum? Did you start first? You started first, right? ‘You’ started first?”

He experimented with various stresses and tried to find a natural tone that suited the situation.

“What’s this, Jeong Yeoreum? ‘You’ started first, right?”

Yeon-woo repeated the process of practicing lines, then playing back the camcorder to review his performance.

Several hours had passed this way.

“Yeon-woo! You’re still here and haven’t gone home yet?”

Cheol-min returned from the adjacent room after finishing a lesson.

“Oh, Teacher. I’m really excited, thinking that if this audition goes well, it might be my first project.”

Yeon-woo smiled brightly, genuinely happy.

“Still, it’s almost 11 PM. My brother and sister-in-law are worried. I’ll help you properly after school tomorrow, so let’s go home today. I’ll give you a ride.”

“Thank you!”

When Cheol-min gestured towards the door, Yeon-woo grabbed the script, tidied up a few things, closed the academy door together with Cheol-min, and got into Cheol-min’s car.