Episode 72: Invitation

“The director did a great job with the screen, didn’t they?”

“CG effects come out well these days as long as you spend money. Director, I’m looking forward to the post-processing of the ending scene being completed soon rather than that.”

“The desert racing scene we talked about last time?”

Director Hwang, who had seen the pre-edited scene before handing it over for post-processing, nodded as he glanced back at the screen, where the teaser was now playing.

“Ryu Yeon-woo. That guy’s stuff.”

At that moment, a staff member from the drama department burst into Director Hwang’s office without even knocking, seeming urgent.

“Director! The final ratings have been calculated.”

“How did it go?”

The staff member handed Director Hwang a printed sheet of paper.

Hastily accepting it, Director Hwang looked it over.

Accompanied by Director Lee Sang-hoon, he scrutinized the paper.

The ratings were directly received from a company that calculates viewership figures, more promptly and accurately than from the internet.

[KBC 1 ‘The Star Beyond the River’]

Episode 2 Ratings [15.9%] ▲2.2%

[MBS ‘Valdor’]

Episode 4 Ratings [18.3%] ▼1.5%

“It’s done! The graph has turned.”

Although they hadn’t caught up yet, seeing the graph steadily rising for two consecutive episodes, Director Hwang, based on his 30 years of experience, knew that unless a major event occurred, the ratings would smoothly climb to the mid-range and even absorb the ratings of competing works.

Director Hwang, tapping Director Lee Sang-hoon’s back next to him, smiled contentedly.

“Director, if there’s a shortage of production budget during the latter part of filming, just let me know. Got it?”

“Yes, Director. Hahaha.”

Today, Director Lee Sang-hoon’s shoulders seemed broader than usual.

====

***

====

The next day, Yeon-woo left home in the morning, driving to the special set.

As he arrived at the entrance, a security guard approached after parking his car.

“How may I assist you?”

“I’ve come to the set of ‘The Star Beyond the River’.”

“Ah, you can go to section B2 over there. There’s a parking lot just around the corner.”

“Thank you.”

Driving to the location guided by the guard, Yeon-woo saw a quite large building.

“It’s quite large.”

After parking his car and entering the building, he saw staff members bustling around, carrying equipment.

“Oh? Yeon-woo.”

“Ki-hoon hyung.”

A member of the lighting team who was setting up lights noticed Yeon-woo entering and hurried over.

“You’re on vacation, and you’re already here at the set?”

“I came early to take a look around. My hometown is Daejeon. Is the director here?”