Episode 55: Finally, They Meet

‘A handgun…?’

Hae-woon froze, unable to turn his head in surprise.

“Don’t turn your head. After Part 1 ends, come to Parking Lot, Basement Level 5, F-7.” S

Hae-woon was suprosed by the young man’s voice more than he expected.

Boom!

The musical’s opening music resounded throughout the theater, and when Hae-woon turned to look behind him, there was no one there.

====

***

====

Yeon-woo’s heart raced as he descended the stairs. The person who appeared behind Hae-woon was Yeon-woo, who had taken his car’s smart key and pressed it against the neck, making it look as if he were aiming a gun.

“Why…? How come?”

Yeon-woo thought of numerous scenarios as he walked quickly downstairs. In his past life as Jeon Su-hwan, he had never been surprised by exploding bombs or flying bullets. However, his emotions were vastly different now, and he had become accustomed to a richer emotional life. his rapidly beating heart seemed to confirm that.

Yet, his 20 years of experience as an excellent agent had not disappeared. Yeon-woo quickly reached Basement Level 5, checked his escape route in case of an emergency, and reexamined his hat and mask.

Tick-tock.

Time passed, and from behind a pillar, Yeon-woo saw the young man who was his target approaching.

“Stop.”

Hae-woon stopped in his tracks at Yeon-woo’s command.

“…Are you really Team Leader Jeon Su-hwan?”

A slightly choked voice came from Hae-woon.

“When Baek Yoo-hyun arrived in Tehran, what was the name of the hotel he stayed at?”

A question devoid of emotion came from behind the pillar.

“…It wasn’t a hotel. He went directly to the embassy.”

As soon as he answered, the next question followed.

“How did you return to Yazd when the car and GPS were both malfunctioning in the desert?”

“I have no idea. Team Leader, you navigated by the stars. You’re no Columbus.”

Hae-woon quickly added before the next question came.

“But, Team Leader, I understand your suspicions, but my memories are still not fully intact. Fortunately, your questions are about things I already know.”

“This is the last question. What did I say before I died?”

At the final question, Hae-woon smiled wistfully.

“…If you stay in the field for too long, someday you’ll get eaten. But I didn’t stay for that long, yet I still got eaten.”

“You’re wrong.”

Behind the pillar emerged a man with a sturdy build.

“It’s cold. I said I should get an extra blanket, right?”

“No, wasn’t that just you talking to yourself?”

Ryu Yeon-woo walked slowly towards him and extended his hand.

Hae-woon stared at his hand for a moment and then grabbed it tightly, causing tears to suddenly flow.

Memories of someone else rushed in, causing a sudden breakdown. Days of investigating alone when he couldn’t turn to anyone for support. Hae-woon had been through a lot, and he had been struggling with his mental health as Baek Yoo-hyun and Hae-woon gradually merged.