Part 20

Jennie twirled in front of the mirror with her younger sister looking on. It was New Year's Eve and she was getting ready for Lisa's firm's party. "Well, Ella, how do I look?"

"Like a princess going to a ball. Lisa's gonna flip out when she sees you in that dress. It looks great on you," Ella complimented.

"Yeah, Winny's got great taste in clothes, I have to hand it to her for picking this one out. But the idea was for me to look elegant, not make Lisa 'flip out'."

She laughed. "It will, though. And with your new haircut, you look so pretty. And a lot older. You could be twenty-five for all they know. Hey, maybe Lisa will love it so much you two will .. you know, make me an aunt in nine months or so." Ella wiggled her eyebrows suggestively.

Jennie shook her head. "This coming from you, who was so upset about me getting married in the first place? Now you want little nieces and nephews running around the house? Don't get your hopes up."

A knock sounded at the bathroom door. "Is it safe to come in?" Lisa asked. She'd gotten home from Seoul two hours earlier, and Ella had refused to let her see her wife; she said it was a surprise.

"No!" Ella exclaimed. "Stay out, she's not ready yet! Go wait downstairs. You can't see her yet."

"Okay, I'll wait downstairs. But we have to leave in a couple minutes," she told them. 'What is this, a wedding? What's the big deal, it's just a party. I'll never understand women when it comes to parties and dressing up. They all make it out to be such a big deal.' Without another word, Lisa went back into her room, grabbed her suit coat and headed for the first floor.

"I think you're ready. You have to make an entrance," the fifteen-year-old said.

Jennie quickly ran her hand through her hair. "I guess this is as good as it gets. I'm ready for my close-up, Mr. DeMille." (AN: dialogue in classic movie "SUNSET BOULEVARD")

Ella gave her sister a funny look. "Huh?"

"Forget it. Let's go."

The younger Kim sister ran ahead of Jennie to the top of the stairs. "Here she is. Prepare yourself for Cinderella," she told her sister-in-law.

Rolling her eyes, Lisa stuffed her hands in her pants pockets. As soon as Jennie stepped into view, she stopped breathing. Never in her thirty years had she seen anything or anyone so breathtaking. Her dress was dark red and fell to the ground, held up by spaghetti straps, accentuating her sensual curves. On her feet were sandals of the same color. But the biggest surprise was her hair; it was cut approximately six inches since when she'd last seen her, falling above her shoulders and darkened to a dirty blonde. She looked older than her twenty years.

"Well, aren't you going to say anything?" Jennie questioned when she reached the last step. Lisa had not yet said a word to her.

"W-What?"

"Is something wrong?"

"No, not at all. You just...you look amazing. Words can't even begin to describe how beautiful you look. I'll be the envy of every man there. Are you ready to go?" 'One man goes near her, and I'll rip his head off,' Lisa swore to herself.

Jennie nodded. "Yep. Let's go to party until 2024."

*****

"Wow," Jennie muttered as she and Lisa walked through the doors of the restaurant where the party was being held.

"Impressive, isn't it?" Lisa asked, whispering in her ear. "The firm never goes halfway on its parties. Or so I've heard. They rented out the entire place."