Chapter 27

I woke up to severe brain fog. I had forgotten where I was, what had happened, all of it. All I knew was that my head felt like it was swimming in honey.

THIS PLACE IS DULL.

I blinked slowly, trying to place the familiar voice. The voice chuckled. AH, YOU'RE CONSCIOUS. GOOD. THEN WE CAN GET STARTED. OR...RATHER, RESUME PRIOR EVENTS.

What...who...?

HOW RUDE OF YOU TO FORGET ONE AS UNIQUE AS ME. DOES THE TRANSITION REALLY MUDDLE THAT POOR HUMAN BRAIN OF YOURS?

I closed my eyes again even as I pushed myself into a sitting position, swaying really badly. Where...am...what...?

HOW CURIOUS. YOU WEREN'T EVEN CONSCIOUS OF THE ACTIONS LAST TIME THIS HAPPENED. I WONDER WHAT'S CHANGED...

My brain finally managed to spit out a name for the entity speaking. ...XGaster...?

I could practically feel his irritation that I took this long to figure that out. WHO ELSE?

The brain fog was starting to clear slowly, but not fast enough for my liking. Someone spoke in my mind, but I knew that XGaster was not the original one.

W-Wait...where's...Nightmare...?

HMM...I CAN SENSE THAT YOUR MIND IS...ADJUSTING TO MY PRESENCE.

I opened my eyes slowly, recalling that the last thing I had seen was the forest. The trees, running, panicking...

...eventually slowing and resting against a tree. How long had I rested there? Nightmare and his group...were they okay??

The scene around me was, as said before by XGaster, dull. A concrete room with bare essentials for living in it.

I rubbed my head, groaning. I still felt like my head was full of honey. Thoughts were slow, but I could sense XGaster's irritation fade slightly, replaced by a patience. YOUR IMPERFECT FRIEND IS...SHALL WE SAY, RESTING.

That's good...Nightmare seemed like he could use...

Wait.

Hold on...no, I was just thinking...if they...ngh...my head hurts...

I stood up from the bed, stumbling heavily as if drunk. I went over to the desk and sat down, grimacing.

I shook my head slowly from side to side. XGaster wasn't supposed to be in my head...only Nightmare...but then how did XGaster...

My brain was trying to connect dots, but it was like wearing drunken goggles while trying to connect dots. The lines were wavy and connecting either incorrectly or far too late.

In this case, it took me way too long to realize that XGaster had subdued Nightmare and used his connection to me to...well, take his place in my head.

I blinked in realization. You...hurt Nightmare...

XGaster was silent for a moment. I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THIS.

I tensed up as my soul made its appearance against my will. It was the black apple soul with a greater purple shine to it, just like Nightmare's soul when I healed it. But now it had a neon purple hue around it.

I grimaced as Nightmare's tendrils ripped through the back of my shirt once more. Against better judgement (of which I currently had none due to my foggy head), I summoned my knife and slashed backwards at the tendrils.

The tendril I aimed at dodged quite easily and wrapped around my wrist, making me drop the knife. THIS WILL BE LESS DIFFICULT FOR EVERYONE IF YOU COOPERATE, Y/N.