1. Starting a family

Our story begins in Egypt, in Alexandria in the 40's, on a spring morning in the Saint Mark Coptic Orthodox Church.

Dawood Salib, a young member of the community who has long admired a girl from the church, Mariam Tadros. After one of the services, he finally seizes the opportunity to engage her in conversation and perhaps even ask her out on a date.

The service comes to an end, the worshippers slowly disperse. Dawood's black hair glistens blue in the light filtering through the church gate, while his brown eyes search for Mariam. His heart beats faster as he approaches the woman who stands by the cathedral's side, chatting with her friends. In the sunlight, the woman's brown wavy hair shines like gold. Her dark blue eyes meet Dawood's. He approaches the group of girls and politely greets them.

-Salam Aleikum (peace be upon you), I hope I'm not intruding. - Dawood began, hoping his voice wouldn't sound too nervous.

-Alaikum Salam (Peace be upon you too)- said the girl in chorus.

-You sang beautifully, Mariam. - he praised, somewhat embarrassed. Mariam is taken aback by the compliment.

-Oh... thank you! - The girls notice the subtle dynamic between the two young people and begin to distance themselves to give them space without making Mariam feel uncomfortable.

-That's very kind of you; not many pay attention to my singing voice.

Dawood's heart started beating even faster.

-I always listen to you when you sing; your voice is like that of angels. - he said, hoping he wasn't being too forward. Mariam blushed deeply, so much so that it was visible even on her dark-toned skin.- Would you like to go for a walk by the beach this afternoon?- Dawood asked, hoping Mariam would say yes.

-Yes, I'd love to go with you. - she replied with a broad smile.

Later, during their walk, they talk about the sermon.

-Today's sermon really touched me - said Dawood.- It was about human patience and the power of faith. What do you think about it?

-It was truly inspiring. Especially the part where the priest talked about how the trials of our faith strengthen us. I think that's very true. - she says, nodding in agreement.

-Yes, and as the priest mentioned, our community also plays an important role in this. Supporting each other and praying together gives us strength.-Dawood adds.

As time goes by, Dawood and Mariam spend more and more time together, and their acquaintance turns into courtship. After church services, they talk in the church garden. They go for coffee, attend community events, or simply walk along the beach; sometimes they even have dinner with each other's families. Dawood's family was already eagerly waiting for when he would ask for Mariam's hand in marriage.

After a year, when their relationship had strengthened sufficiently and they had received the blessings of both families, Dawood decided it was time to take the next big step. On a beautiful summer evening, as the sun was setting and the sky turned orange shone in shades of pink, Dawood invited Mariam to a special place filled with many beautiful memories for both of them.

They met in the garden next to the Saint Mark Coptic Orthodox Church, where they had their first conversation together. The garden was adorned with fragrant flowers and gentle lanterns, creating an intimate and romantic atmosphere.

-Mariam, do you remember this place?- Dawood asked.

-Of course, I remember; this is where it all began. - Mariam replied with a smile.

Dawood took a deep breath, then knelt down in front of Mariam, pulling out a small, elegant box from his pocket.

-Mariam, over the past few months, I've learned a lot about you. We've met each other's families, shared our faith, and dreams. You're the one I want to continue my journey in life with. Will you marry me?" he said, opening the box, revealing a beautiful, traditional-style engagement ring sparkling inside.