11. University Foam Mischief

There were still about 2-3 weeks until the start of the semester. The spacious, quiet dorm room and the unfamiliar city initially excited him, but soon the feeling of loneliness and the change of environment began to affect him more strongly. As he walked around the university campus, he admired the imposing architecture of the historical buildings and the paths winding under ancient trees. The university libraries were particularly impressive; within those walls lay a vast knowledge, and for Ibrahim, with his thirst for knowledge, this was one of the most exciting explorations.

However, the cultural differences felt strange to him. One thing that struck him first was that people did not greet each other on the street or in the library hallways. Back home, even strangers would smile and greet each other, but here everyone seemed preoccupied with their own affairs, appearing aloof and distant. The other thing that was strange to him was the cold, rainy weather. In Oxford, temperatures didn't even reach 30 degrees Celsius in the summer and it rained frequently. Due to the rush, he couldn't bring many belongings from Alexandria, and he didn't plan to either, as he knew his clothes wouldn't be suitable for the English climate. He went shopping for warmer clothes: sweaters, scarves, gloves, and coats, pants and a waterproof shoe that would protect him from the rainy weather. As Ibrahim tried on the different garments, his thoughts drifted back to Egypt, where the sunshine and warm weather rarely necessitated such thick clothing. The weight and texture of the new clothes felt foreign, but it was also an exciting change for him.

Ibrahim was eagerly awaiting his Oxford studies, but soon he had to face the reality that it didn't always live up to his expectations.

When the official dorm move-in time came, Ibrahim was assigned an Indian roommate, which he was glad about so he wouldn't be alone anymore. Rajeev was from New Delhi, from a wealthy family, and loved to boast about his wealth and connections. Ibrahim was irritated by Rajeev's arrogance, and soon realized they wouldn't be able to become friends.

He did find an interesting research group that studied ancient Egypt and extraterrestrial connections. This group focused on examining various theories, such as whether the pyramids were built by extraterrestrials or not. Ibrahim represented a completely unique perspective in this group as well. As an Egyptian native, he rejected these theories, as well as the notion that this is why the Egyptians had advanced architectural and astronomical knowledge. He himself sought answers in Egyptian mythology and gods, believing that these gods themselves could be the "extraterrestrials" who inspired the Egyptian civilization. He was particularly drawn to the idea that the cats revered as sacred by the Egyptians might actually be extraterrestrial beings. Initially, he found these conversations exciting, but he didn't find a particularly strong connection with anyone, although he did make a few friends with whom he occasionally studied together. The group consisted mostly of Americans and Brits who had a great interest in extraterrestrial theories but were less open to truly understanding Egyptian culture and traditions.

But it wasn't just with the other students that he got into debates, but also with his professors.

One such debate was about the legitimacy of the pharaohs' power, particularly regarding the divine right and the merging of the rulers' political power.

-The pharaohs ruled by divine right, which means they had absolute power, and their decisions could not be questioned.

-But Dr. Smith, this is a very simplified approach. Numerous ancient texts and artifacts show that the pharaohs' power was often disputed, and there were periods when the population, even the priests, opposed them.

-These cases were rare and do not represent the historical norm. The pharaohs were the earthly embodiments of the gods and held unchecked power.

-I'm sorry, but I believe this is an overly idealized picture. In reality, the pharaohs' power was often controlled by internal court intrigues and economic challenges. The priests, who also had great influence, often played a role in politics, which limited the pharaohs' power. Not to mention the people's revolts, such as the workers' strike in Deir el-Medina during the Ramesses era.