3. Family Curse

-To our curse? - Ibrahim's voice pondered and startled.

-Yes, Ibrahim. It's about the curse that runs in our family. Our ancestor was a pharaoh who waged a long war with a stranger folk, and in the end... - Mariam paused, as if searching among memories of the past.

-And in the end? - Ibrahim asked impatiently.

-In the end, the foreign people cast a curse upon us - continued Mariam. - This curse affected every firstborn child of our bloodline, regardless of whether they were born as a boy or a girl. Firstly, it struck the pharaoh, then his firstborn child, and their firstborn child, and so on. They all either disappeared or went mad.

-But why the firstborns?

-I'm not exactly sure, perhaps because the pharaoh himself was one.

-And what does the clay vessel have to do with all this?

-The clay vessel was part of a ritual. During this ritual, they stored something important inside it, something that gave them power over their enemies.

-But what was it, Mama? Tell me!

-They say that the object kept inside the clay vessel was somehow linked to the foreign people. It might have symbolized an ancient alliance or cooperation that established a peaceful relationship between the pharaoh and the foreign people. But in reality, it was this object that enabled the curse, which now affects us too. When your grandmother heard this legend, her mind was already broken. She couldn't share the exact details with us. Only vague memories and nightmares remained from the past.

The boy listened to Mariam sadly, increasingly understanding the weight of the family curse and its murky history. Mariam continued:

-The fate of the clay vessel, according to legend, was that one of our ancestors threw it into the depths of the sea to bury the terrible memories of the past. But somehow, it seems to have returned to us.

-But if you knew about the curse, why did you get married? Why did you have children? Didn't you think about Baba, or us, your children? That one day you might disappear or go mad, and so, might I?

Mariam turned pale, tears welling in her eyes.

-I had no choice. It's our duty as women to get married and have many children.

-So, you don't even love Baba, or us? You just did it out of duty to have a husband who would support you?

-How could you ask such a thing? Of course, I love you all, but the curse cannot be stopped. This is our fate. I didn't want to live constantly worrying about what would happen to me if I went mad or disappeared, so I wanted to enjoy life. Maybe the curse isn't even real, just a legend, but strange things have happened in our family. Once you fall in love, you'll understand.

-I don't want to be like that, I don't want to live with this burden, I don't want to disappear or go mad. I... I...

-Son, do you remember what you learned in Sunday school? Our religion is about hope and faith. That even in the darkest moments, there is light.

-But what if the curse is stronger than faith, and our fate is fulfilled?

-Never give up hope, Ibrahim! Our faith protects us from the darkness. Remember, we Coptic Christians have lived in Egypt for centuries, in a Muslim-majority country. Every day we face challenges, but our faith gives us strength.

Ibrahim pondered his mother's words. Perhaps she was right; hope is their only weapon against the curse.

-I'll try to be strong, Mama, I promise. But what should we do with the clay vessel? - Ibrahim asked worriedly. - Wouldn't it be a good idea to take it to the museum with Dad?