||32||

I stayed frozen alongside my family for the rest of the night. I'd stared at Carlisle the entire time, terrified that I might lose him soon, that we might both never see the other again. Alice and Jasper never returned, which was only now starting to worry me. I heard the pattering of paws in the woods outside. Jake must have returned from telling Sam about the oncoming attack. The wolves were preparing, although I doubted any preparation would spare us from the Volturi. 

"Alice." Edward stated, and his voice seemed to break us all from our frozen stances. I looked away from Carlisle for the first time in hours and over at Bella, who held Alexia close.

"She's been gone a long time." Rose stated, sounding surprised. 

"Where could she be?" Emmett asked, taking a step towards the door. I placed a hand on his arm. "We don't need to disturb her."

"She's never taken so long before. Carlisle you don't think- something preemptive? Would Alice have had time to see if they sent someone for her?" Edward's words made fear overpower my senses. Emmett cussed loudly and I heard growls outside. 

"Stay with Alexia!" Bella yelled, passing Alexia to Alex, who looked absolutely terrified. 

I sped after the rest of my family, searching for Alice's scent, wondering where she could have gone, or where they could have taken her. 

"Would they have been able to surprise her?" Carlisle asked Edward as we ran. 

"I don't see how. But Aro knows her better than anyone else. Better than I do." 

Because he'd seen her every thought. He knew Alice, really knew her, and now he was using that to his advantage.

"Is this a trap?" Emmett called from behind Bella, Carlisle, Edward and I.

"Maybe. There's no scent but Alice and Jasper. Where were they going?" 

We followed their trail until it ran out. I came to a stop as I smelled wolves. Edward did too, as did everyone else, catching up to us.

"Sam? What is this?" Edward asked suddenly. I looked over to see Sam walking through the trees in his human form, flanked by two wolves-Paul and Jared. As he reached us, Edward's face went white as he read Sam's mind.

Sam ignored him and looked straight at Carlisle. 

"Right after midnight, Alice and Jasper came to this place and asked permission to cross our land to the ocean. I granted them that and escorted them to the coast myself. They went immediately into the water and did not return. As we journeyed, Alice told me it was of the utmost importance that I say nothing to Jacob, Seth or Leah about seeing her until I spoke to you. I was to wait here for you to come looking for her and then give you this note. She told me to obey her as if all our lives depended on it." 

Sam handed Carlisle the note, which was written on a page that had been ripped from The Merchant of Venice. I recognized the book and realized it was Bella's copy. 

"Alice has decided to leave us." Carlisle whispered and I gasped.

"What?" Rose cried.

Carlisle turned the page so that we could all read. 

Don't look for us. There isn't time to waste. Remember : Tanya, Siobhan, Amun, Alistair, all the nomads you can find. We'll seek out Peter and Charlotte on the way. We're so sorry that we have to leave you this way, with no goodbyes or explanations. It's the only way. We love you. 

I stood in silence as I went over what I'd just read. Alice and Jasper were leaving us. I couldn't help but be upset at that, no matter how much I wanted them to be safe.