ˢʰᶦᵐᵐᵉʳʸ ᴰᶦᵃᵐᵒⁿᵈ

Toby walked along the sidewalk, his eyes scanning the park. He prayed that this was the right park because, in all honesty, he had no idea which park Y/N was talking about.

Toby sat on one of the benches, tapping his gloved hands on his knees. He wasn't trying to be impatient; he was more anxious, if anything. He checked his phone. 12:10.

The park was nearly empty, except for an old-looking taco stand and the few old people walking their little dogs. The sun was directly above them, occasionally peeking out from behind the clouds. He checked the time again. 12:11.

Toby was beginning to think that he must have come to the wrong park or that Y/N wasn't actually going to come. He quickly grew hopeless that she wasn't going to meet him there. He checked the message on his phone from the other day, making sure he read it correctly.

He was about to stand up before his eyes were covered by two hands.

"Guess who...?" The voice spoke, sounding soft and pleasant to his ears. Toby's mind blanked, but he soon regained his composure.

"Erm... Y-Y/N...?" He guessed, looking behind him. He was met with the same soft gaze that he saw the other day, but today, she seemed very excited to see him. And he was surprised by that.

"I know I'm late. It was a hastle trying to get out of my house today," Y/N said lightheartedly as she smiled. She went around the bench, sitting next to him.

"N-No, no, it's okay. I-I wasn't waiting for that long," Toby replied, glancing away for a moment. His words started to catch in his throat as his confidence melted into a puddle beneath him. He had no idea what to say or how to have a normal conversation with someone, let alone catch up with someone from... However long ago.

Y/N looked at Toby, mostly at what he was wearing and his appearance. Toby looked different—much different—than he did back in high school. At first, Y/n didn't know if it was even truly him, so she decided to ask something.

"Could you take your gloves off?" She asked, looking at the black gloves on his hands. Toby looked down at his hands before slowly taking off the gloves. Under the gloves, he had messy bandages that wrapped from his fingers to the middle of his forearm.

"It really is you, huh?" Y/N remarked, reaching out to gently take his hand to look at how badly he had bandaged his arm. Toby's fingers twitched as he forced himself not to pull away from her touch.

"Yeah, it's me," Toby said quietly, looking at her face, which was framed by her hair so perfectly. Y/N made eye contact with Toby, making him want to look away. Y/N noticed the mouth guard that was blocking half of his face from view. She reached out a hand toward his face. Toby quickly grabbed her wrist, preventing her from touching it. When he realized how harshly he had grabbed her arm, he let go.

"S-sorry," he mumbled, looking away ashamed. "I don't like it off." He explained. Y/N's face turned sympathetic, and he lowered her arm.

"Why not?" She asked. Toby gulped. He was cornered. If he didn't show her, he would be hiding something, but if he did show her, she would probably be freaked the fuck out.

Toby put his hand up to his mouth guard, slowly pulling it off his face. Y/N's eyes widened as her eyes landed on the large scar. Her hand went to cover her mouth in shock.

"Toby, what happened...?" Y/N asked, looking at the rough scarring on his cheek.

"I kind of just bit through it," he said with a nervous chuckle, looking away for a bit. Concern was soon brought to his expression, and he looked back at Y/N. "Is it bad?" He asked