Doctor Gordon - ✔

"As our head doctor, you have the privilege of choosing your own base of operations." He produces a city-wide map. Each of the buildings are outlined in different colors. "Our family is blue, Maroni's are green, and the residential blocks are in yellow. Numban chose a base on the docks. Although I must say, it was constantly raided by neighboring families. Might I suggest somewhere closer to the heart of the city?"

"Is this place an option? I have quick access to Oswald's and I'm already quite familiar with it."

"We can have arrangements to have Numban's equipment brought here, sure."

What am I even doing here? Jim will find out sooner or later, and I have to resign at the hospital. What lie am I going to come up with next?

"Thanks."

"As for your non-medical responsibilities, you'll be in charge of training our medical staff, as well as compiling information on their progress for our quarterly board."

"You have a board?"

"Well, of course. This is a business, after all. I know you don't agree with our tactics, but you're one of us now."

"Is she?" Butch picks up Carmine's wine glass, pretending like he and Oswald haven't been listening in from the bar.

"Why, yes. I was about to tell you the good news! Sera, our entire family will be looking to you for medical insight. I'm trusting you to take care of my people."

"I can handle it."

He smiles, knowingly. "I trust you'll do fine. I'm sorry to leave so soon, but I have more appointments I must get to. Oswald and Butch will help you get settled in. Isn't that right, gentlemen?"

"You can count on us, Don Falcone."

As soon as my new boss leaves, Oswald erupts into vicious laughter.

"Wow, Sera Gordon! You are doing a fantastic job at keeping your head down."

Sitting at the bar, I shoot a glare at both of them. "What was I supposed to do?"

"Um." Cobblepot makes a failed attempt to reel in his bellowing. "Turn it down?"

"Do you think he was actually giving me a choice? He has so much over me, he was merely asking me out of courtesy. Besides, I think I'll be fine at this job."

"You've worked once, Sera. You haven't seen half of what Numban has."

"Numban was spilling secrets to Maroni," I defend myself. "I'm a quick learner."

"I must⁠— I must be in a time loop! Jim said those exact same words to me. Didn't he?"

"He's right and you've entered the heart of Gotham's bloodbath."

"You're a target now," Oswald finishes. "What would your brother think of this arrangement? Did you even think of him before playing the hero⁠—"

"Stop it!" My fists slam into the bar. "Don't you bring my family into this!"

"They were into this long before you were and you're just following the blood trail."

My father, my mother, even my brother have had their dealings with Falcone. All of them ended bloody. How am I really breaking free of the mold and helping Gotham? I am just like my father's tainted legacy. I am my brother's antithesis. I don't want to be identified with the family, but I am a Falcone through and through. My hands are smeared with the lives I save, and now Jim's life could stain my soul, too.

"What have I done?"

Oswald rests a hand on my shoulder. "I'm sure in a perfect world, Jim will accept how you've betrayed him."