Chapter 2

Kathy's POV:

Our small group travelled into town by foot and found a small hotel which wasn't hard to spot because of the large writing and the flashing lights that blared the words "SUNNY HOTEL".

Cleo and I were at the reception desk booking our rooms while Zack and Jesse were looking for a number for a mechanic to come and pick up his car and fix it.

"How many rooms would you like to book?" the young man asked with a smile on his face.

"Two please," I answered while playing with the pen that I found on the counter like the child I am.

The man typed the information down on the computer. While he did that, I noticed his name tag, which told me that his name was Steve.

"And would you like to have double or separate beds?"

"Separate," Cleo and I replied automatically.

Steve typed on his computer again, but he glanced up and gave us an apologetic look. "I'm sorry, but we only have double beds at the moment."

"That's alright. We'll take them," Cleo said, too occupied with playing with the pen that she found on the counter like the child she was.

Steve continued to type on the computer as he told us the amount of the rooms. We paid him, and he handed over the keys to us. "Here are your room keys. Your rooms are twenty-four and twenty-five."

"Thank you," Cleo and I both replied as we took our room keys from him.

"You're welcome. Enjoy your time at the Sunny Hotel."

We thanked Steve one last time and walked over to the couches that were in the lobby. We sat down and waited for Zack and Jesse to meet us at the couches where we'd arranged to meet after we were to book our rooms.

"He's cute," Cleo commented with a sly smile.

"Who?" I asked. I laid my head back on the comfy couch while I closed my eyes to get a moment's rest.

Man, was I tired.

"The guy we just booked our rooms from!"

"Cleo, you have a boyfriend," I stated with my eyes still closed, clearly not understanding what she'd meant.

"I wasn't talking about for myself."

I opened my eyes and turned my head to look at Cleo with a raised eyebrow, waiting for her to explain. I was too tired to use my brain cells right now.

"I'm talking about you! You should ask for his number!"

"I'm not going to ask a total stranger for his number."

"Email?"

"Not happening."

"But he's cute! And you haven't been on a date in over a year!"

"And you know why."

"It's been a year since you two broke up. It's time to move on."

I took a deep breath. Just the mention of him depresses me.

"I think it'd be good for you to ask him out."

"Ask who out?" Zack asked as he walked over towards us with the beast at his side.

"I was just saying to Kathy that she should ask for that guy's number over there." Cleo pointed to Steve as he was in the midst of tending to another customer.

Zack and Jesse followed Cleo's index finger and looked at Steve for a moment before they turned their attention back on us. Jesse had a frown upon his face. Zack noticed his friend's expression and suddenly Zack looked at me.