Chapter 21

Kathy's POV:

I walked along the sand at a sedate pace, my mind focusing on the gentle footsteps that seemed to echo throughout the beach as Jesse held my hand.

The air is sweet, the weather is warm, there are birds in the sky, and I can hear the waves.

I looked at Jesse and saw him watching the sea, lost in the rhythmic percussion of waves on the sand. His lips bear the semblance of a smile; just enough to show that he is enjoying his thoughts, whatever they may be.

I moved closer and stayed quiet, allowing him to stay lost in the moment awhile longer.

Jesse squeezed my hand gently. I looked up and saw him looking at me.

"We can't hang out here all day at the beach," Jesse said.

"We can't?"

"Let's go and enjoy our date by exploring Los Angeles."

I smiled brightly. "That sounds like a lot of fun!"

"We're at the Santa Monica Pier. Let's go to the fair."

We walked to the fair, and I saw bright lights flashing everywhere. They were almost blinding. The fair was shining with all of the lights gleaming and glinting in the sky.  Every stall and ride was buzzing with excitement. The sound of laughter filled the air, and the rides exploded with noise by the screams coming from the riders.

I heard screeching tires, and the sounds of bangs from the bumper cars. Walking further up, I could hear screams from the Ghost Train. Spinning faster and faster, the waltzer's occupants screamed hysterically.

There were different stalls with prizes hanging up on the hooks. The lucky people would win the bigger prizes, while the unlucky people would win a much smaller and less enjoyable prize.

The fair was packed with eager children, tugging on their parents' arms to let them go on the different rides. There were groups of teenagers lining up in line, and there were couples holding hands.

Jesse and I spent a few hours at the fair and rode on different rides, played different games at the stalls, and laughed a lot together.

It was our turn on the Ferris wheel ride. We took a seat, and after a few minutes, we were on top of the Ferris wheel.

I watched the sun fall behind the horizon. The sky was dyed red and orange. There's a soothing emotion at hearing the sounds of the sea that can't be found anywhere else but high above it. Of course, such a scene wouldn't be complete without the smells of the beach wafting up your nostrils. A beach has such a relaxing scent to it.

A happy sigh escaped through my nose.

"Pretty, huh?"

"Very."

"This is the perfect scene to do something romantic."

I looked away from the sky and looked at Jesse. "Sure it is, if you want to be cliché."

"Hey! I'm trying to be romantic!"

"By announcing you're being romantic?"

Jesse laughed, and I leaned in and kissed him on the cheek.

He stopped laughing and looked at me as I smiled at him.

"Was that romantic?" I asked.

He nodded as a blush appeared on his cheeks.

I smiled gently at him and said, "You're really sweet."

"Thanks...?"

I laughed and stopped when I felt soft lips on mine.