Chapter 5 - A New Arrival

Duncan was nervous about going to school. It wasn't the normal new-kid-in-school nerves, though. His heart beat faster thinking about being near her.

He returned to his bedroom, drying his hair with a towel. His mother had laid out the uniform he had to wear—a white button-down shirt, a navy blazer, gray pants, and a navy-blue-and-white striped tie. He hated uniforms. Four of the schools he'd attended required them. They were his least favorite of the places he'd lived. That didn't bode well for this town's prospects.

After several failed attempts with the tie, Duncan gave up, leaving it on the bed. He also abandoned the blazer for use of his beat-up old army jacket. The only thing of his dad's he owned. Mementos were hard to keep, moving as often as they did.

"Aren't you afraid you'll get in trouble for not wearing it right?" Patricia Cavanaugh asked her son as he scarfed two Pop Tarts.

"It's the first day. And I'm new. Teachers are always nice to new kids." If anyone knew that, it was Duncan. He had been the new kid eleven times in eight years.

"All right, well, don't call me if you get detention." She was trying to be funny, but at the last second she added, "Actually, do call me. Otherwise, I'll worry."

Duncan laughed and said goodbye.

***

Dianna honked her horn for the third time since she pulled up in front of Lily's house, not five minutes ago. As Lily walked out of the house, Dianna's brother climbed into the backseat. Dianna yelled at him for scratching the interior. Her words could make a trucker blush.

Dianna pressed the horn again.

"I'm right here, Di." Lily said, getting in the car.

Dianna made a kissing motion toward her as a greeting. Like Lily, Dianna wore a navy plaid skirt and a white polo shirt.

Lily glanced back to greet Jonny. She turned around when he wondered how her hair smelled.

"Hi," he squeaked out. "And it's Jonathan now. It's more mature than Jonny. Don't you think?"

The fact that he wanted to be mature so she might like him made her cringe. She didn't want to hurt his feelings, but she didn't see a way to assuage his crush.

"You look great today." His voice cracked when he spoke and his face turned scarlet. Lily pretended not to notice. Dianna, on the other hand, mocked him mercilessly.

When they arrived at school, Jack was leaning against his car, talking with three guys. Eric was the easiest to spot with his height. The second was Drew. And, by Drew's side, without fail, was Carson.

Dianna honked her horn as she drove toward the empty parking spot where they stood. She didn't even slow as she pulled into the space. Luckily, they dodged the little red deathtrap. Getting between Dianna and a good parking space wasn't safe. She might run over her own grandmother to get a decent spot at the mall. Or even the dentist.

Jack strode over to open Lily's door. He smiled as he took her old canvas messenger bag and shouldered it. He slipped his arms around her waist to draw her into a kiss. "Hey, babe," he said, with his lips brushing against hers.

Lily turned her head to greet Eric. She asked, "Where's Hilary?"

Eric shrugged. "I tried to call her, but she didn't answer."

Lily spotted Hilary's mother near the entrance, greeting students. Even though Hilary had her own car, it surprised Lily that Mrs. Johnson didn't insist on driving her. It wasn't good for the headmistress' daughter to arrive late.