Chapter 23 - An Old Family Friend

All the houses in Ashland were old, most were built at least a hundred years ago. So, the next morning, when Lily and Duncan went to the address Ms. Birch gave her, she expected the teacher's house to be old. What she had not expected was just how old it was. After turning down a long and winding dirt road they finally pulled up in front of the house, which was made of wood and stone. It reminded Lily of a log cabin from her second grade field trip to Puritan Town. There was even a stone chimney built on one end of the structure.

"Do you think she has running water and electricity?" Duncan asked.

Lily laughed. She half-expected Laura Ingalls to walk around the side of the house with a bucket of water from the well.

The front door swung open and Ms. Birch stepped through, wearing one of her typical mismatched outfits. It was nice to know some things hadn't changed. "Welcome to my home." Ms. Birch said, ushering them inside.

The interior was considerably more modern. There were dozens of pictures on the walls and on the tables around the room from all over the world, from the pyramids of Giza to the Eiffel Tower in Paris. Ms. Birch had been everywhere.

The house did have electricity and running water, which the teacher used to fill a kettle for tea. Lily and Duncan took a seat on the small floral sofa in the living room. Everything had a floral motif, Lily noticed, even the carvings in the moldings and the fireplace.

"How long have you known that I'm a witch?" Lily asked, when Ms. Birch took a seat across from her, in a pink wingback chair.

"I guess we're going to skip the pleasantries, then. Alright—" the teacher straightened in her seat "—I've known since before you were born."

Lily looked at the woman sideways. "I don't understand."

"I've been close with your family for a long time. Your mother and I were once very good friends. And Lucy—your Gran—was the one that taught me how to use my magic."

"If you and my mother are so close then why have I never seen you together?" Lily asked. "She's never even mentioned you."

"I said were." Ms. Birch clarified. "We went to school together. She was my best friend. I practically grew up in your house. But we had a falling out. We haven't really spoken much since."

Lily leaned forward, with her elbows pressed to her knees, wanting to know more. "What was it about?"

"That isn't pertinent to this conversation." Ms. Birch said. "All you need to know is that our families are connected and they have been for a very long time."

Lily sighed, disappointed. Then she remembered something about last night. "Is that why you called me your goddaughter? Because our families are close?"

Ms. Birch shook her head. "I called you that because it's true. Jacquelyn made me your godmother."

A loud whistling sounded from the kitchen area, which was open to the living room. Ms. Birch went to take the kettle off the burner. She poured the water into a china teapot and set it on a tray. She brought the tray in and placed it on the low table between them; there were three china cups that matched the teapot, a bowl with lemon wedges, a container with cream, and a bowl with sugar cubes. All of the dishes had the same pink flower print. Lily thought it was odd that her dishes matched but her clothes never did. Ms. Birch poured the tea into the cups and handed one to each of them.

Duncan smiled politely, before placing his cup on the table. He wasn't a tea drinker. Lily once offered him some. After tasting it, he made a sour face. By the look of it, she suspected he was remembering the same thing.