Chapter 22 - Bad Teacher

Duncan watched as the cheerleaders made their way onto the field with yells and affirmations. They were led by a beautiful girl with coppery brown skin and a two-foot-long ponytail of silky black. Veronica was right on her heels as several girls flipped and cartwheeled behind them. Sara was next, followed by Hilary and Dianna. There were nine girls on the field and none of them were Lily. He wondered what was going on. She left him with the express purpose of coming here.

Duncan made his way down to the railing. He waved to attract Dianna's or Hilary's attention. He got both and a few others. "Where's Lily?" he yelled. He hoped that they could hear over the roar of the crowd. It seemed as if everyone in town came to these games.

Veronica rolled her eyes, so he knew they could hear. Hilary and Dianna exchanged a look and then searched the other girls' faces. They both shrugged at him, continuing to search the crowd.

"Duncan!" Lily's little brother ran up to him. His parents were scrambling to keep up through the crowd.

"Hey, buddy. Pound it." Duncan knelt down and held out his fist. Parker tapped his fist against Duncan's. Over the last few weeks Duncan had come to think of the little boy as the brother he never had. He had fun playing video games and talking superheroes.

"Duncan, it's lovely to see you." Mrs. Bishop said. "Is your mother here?"

"Up there." He pointed her out.

"Where's Lily?" Mr. Bishop asked. "I don't see her out there."

Duncan shrugged. "I was just about to go look for her. She was running late."

Mrs. Bishop made a face. "Isn't she always?"

"I'm gonna go find her. I'll see you later." Duncan gave a small wave as he left them.

***

"Lily, what are you doing in here?" a familiar voice asked. The heavy Southern accent gave him away immediately.

"Mr. Ingram?" she asked, confused.

"You really shouldn't be here."

In the dark hall, without being able to see his attractive disarming face, Lily heard something almost menacing in his voice. She tried to listen to his thoughts to find out why. He had his thoughts well protected, but she had been practicing getting through barriers with Duncan. She pushed further into the recesses of his mind.

She heard a scream. Not out loud, in his thoughts. She heard crying. Visions flashed though her mind of girls running away as he stalked after them. She had seen these images before. She clutched her abdomen, feeling sick, as she connected the dots and realized the truth. "It was you." Lily whispered. A tear fell from her eye.

The ghostly girls from the park appeared again, surrounding him. Their faces were the ones in his mind. Lily hadn't noticed in the park, but they seemed tethered to him.

"What are you mumbling about?" Mr. Ingram asked.

"You're the witch that attacked me." She barely managed to get the words out.

"Just to clarify, I'm a warlock. Not a witch. But how'd you even know that?" He snapped his fingers and the lights flashed on. "I've cloaked my magic since I got here. I haven't even used magic. Except that once in the park. And I was glamoured the whole time."

She swallowed hard. "I saw it in your sick mind."

He turned his head sideways, looking at her. "What makes you think I'm sick?" he asked.

"You attack young girls and kill them." Lily snapped.

"Oh, that." He gave a small laugh. "It wasn't personal. It wasn't even me that picked 'em. It was the head of our order. I could hardly say no."