Choosing Fate .:22:.

Despite Emerie’s bitchiness towards Damaris, she never once left her daughter’s side.

Ryker came back after a cautious trip into the human world with Dexter to run some errands on something to do with money for any who wish to hide out in the human world. Something like that.

Damaris watched her daughter with weary eyes, her chest rising and falling at a steady pace. Emerie’s face looked so peaceful, so calm . . . almost dead.

At the very thought, Damaris burst into silent tears, her golden eyes blurring as she thought she saw a faint vision, possibility or outcome of some sort that foresaw Emerie truly dead, skin icy-cold. Immediately Damaris snatched Emerie’s limp hand and was relieved to find it warm and alive. Placing it back by Emerie’s side, she watched, waited, slept, woke up . . . and waited.

Her friends came to visit her but they weren’t humans. They didn’t exactly sell floral items. They made her cards and they had Denzell conjure up plants and flowers instead of having to smuggle them in from the outside and place them on her table in a vase of water. Raquel crestfallen, Cian looked beaten and Darryl . . . he looked liked crap whereas Libby wouldn’t stop blubbering or crying.

Damaris’s heart swelled at the amount of students that probably Emerie didn’t even know who came in and visited her, giving their wishes and parting with grave looks on their faces. Everybody would probably now know that Emerie was the saviour; the key to winning this Cold War.

Damaris smiled dryly, remembering an assignment she had to do when she attended Akorin Academy herself and had to write an essay on the Cold War of the human world.

This war right now was like an exact replica; nobody made a move yet the three races were abducted. Neither the humans nor the three races made a move to attack the opposing side.

She clenched her fists, fighting back tears as she watched her daughter stir.

Wait – Emerie stirred! Damaris’s heart soared like a bird on a wing.

Emerie murmured insults under her breath. As soon as she had felt consciousness sweep back into her blank mind, she felt at ease.

The burning pain was fading to a level of warmth which she could tolerate. She felt hot though; as though she was resting underneath the trees on a hot Summer’s day at the beach she absolutely adored.

Emerie continued to mutter insults when she moved slightly and felt pain radiate from her torso.

That damned man who shocked her!

She started to curse, voice growing louder and louder and louder until suddenly a gust of air came from a loud insult she shouted.

“Stupid humans!” she shrieked, eyes flying open. “I’m going to . . .”

She was in the infirmary.

Someone had come to her aid after all!

Joy swept through Emerie and suddenly, she felt a tear slide down her cheek. She was in the safe clutches of those who loved her like their own. She was safe with the races and people who she really belonged with.

“Oh God I’m safe again,” she whispered. “I’m safe.”

“Emerie.” The voice was barely audible; it sounded as though it lacked water and food and energy.

But Emerie recognised that voice anywhere. She had been learning to avoid it.

Emerie squinted, shifting her head to the side and her neck ached, causing her to squeeze her eyes shut. At least she wasn’t strapped to a metal bed.