part 9

re·flec·tion
rəˈflekSH(ə)n/
noun

serious thought or consideration.

•••

friday.

the men waited for the train three kilometers from where it was to come in. they sent the telegrapher ahead to confirm the train would make no warning noises going towards the camp, and with him, he took three snipers.

the ranks stood quietly, like boards from top to bottom, though shaking in their boots.

harry couldn't feel from his stomach down. at least, he was trying not to, but he was sure if he felt his stomach, he would sputter all over the man in front of him.

of course, the plan did not involve nor save time for vomiting on higher ranks, so harry stood, afraid for his life.

if the train gave off more information than simply the fact it was there, enemy lines would know where they are. and this wasn't so much of an issue, but the fact harry's brigade was formally unprepared for battle, and though they had more men, the enemies had more training.

he wondered for the noisy men at camp, if they had families waiting for them at home. he'd noticed they don't speak of home while they're being noisy, and while the noise annoyed harry, their quiet was much worse.

he wondered for their children, if they were blessed enough. for their wives and mothers, possibly unable to assist.

and harry wondered for his mother and sister, who had no one but robin, a man who was practically his father, who had failed the physical after being tested for a cancer in his lungs. he believed it was a lie until the day he left and robin wrapped an arm around gemma, who was holding harry's work clothes. she had moved into harry's room in the newspaper office, taking over his job and printing her own articles. robin was not there to pretend he could not go to war. he was there to protect harry's family while they worked.

and that made harry flinch, making a higher rank behind him smack his shoulder with a rifle.