Chapter ten: Lyra Tano

I'm sorry brother

So sorry lover

Forgive me father

I love you mother

__________________________________________

" What happened to your jaw?"

" Who hit you?"

" I am gonna kick there ass, tell me now!"

" It won't happen again, I promise."

These words meant nothing to Mercy, for the simple reason she didn't care about that she cared about the growing pit in her stomach.

At the moment it was weighing her down as well as slowing her thoughts because every time she thought of something else that one thought came back, fighting mad like a bull in a china shop screaming to be noticed.

So instead of talking, she ignored them all, and in turn they eventually left her alone.

The heat from the desert that they were traveling through bounced off the sand and landed right on the black suburban, heating it to a miserable temperature. It was so hot out you could see the heat waves on the black pavement.

" Hey there's a town coming up, you guys wanna stop?"

The Warren way phrased her sentence made it sound like they were on a road trip but thats what caught Mercy's attention.

Not Warren words, obviously, her words meant nothing to her, it was the mention of a town that sent the pit in her stomach in to her throat to form a word opposite of what the others were saying.

" No." Addy.

" No." Mack.

" No." 10k.

" No." Cassandra.

" No." Doc.

" No." Murphy.

" Yes, stop." Mercy.

" Why? Doesn't seem like anything's here.." Addy trailed off when she Mercy at full attention with her knee tapping against the truck floor boards. " Just do as I ask, please." Mercy bit back a hostile response so she changed her choice of words but the aggressiveness in her voice hinted that if they didn't do as she said, being in hell would be less painful.

In a total of five minutes, Warren had driven dangerously fast at Mercy's request, they had gotten to the ghost town to find it empty.

But Mercy already knew that, she wasn't coming here to site see the robbed shops.

With each passing second the pit in her throat increased till her nostrils were flaring from the effort she was putting in to not jump out of the truck and find the source of her anxiety.

When they pulled the truck to a stop in the middle of the street, only then did Mercy speak. " If I die you got Murphy as a backup."

" What? No, stay here, Mercy that's an order!" Warren ordered Mercy.

" I don't give a damn if you don't want me to, Warren!"

" What about 10k? If you die, what about him?"

" At the moment, 10k doesn't matter to me,"

" Do not get out of the car."

As she slammed the door at the same time she pulled out her modern pistol to cock it before she got in a battle ready position, slowly though she creeped forward, eyeing the roof tops on either side of her.