Chapter Four [Shifting of the Ranks]

Her lips crashed into mine without hesitation. I gripped her long dark hair as her hands slipped beneath my sweater. They ran across my tensed muscles as she worked my shirt up in a hurry to remove it. I broke the kiss to help her push it over my head, and we tossed it to the corner of the bed. Filled with a lustful urgency, her legs straddled my waist.

My hands grasped her hips, and my fingers spread across the small of her back. Her breathing was ragged as she leaned in to kiss me again, her dark hair falling to one side of her face. She kissed the corner of my mouth, then, slowly, her lips worked along my jaw, leaving a trail of hot kisses across my throat.

All the while, her hands roamed my body, fueling the sexual fire ignited inside my chest. After a stressful day, I needed an easy, quick release. A deep groan escaped my throat as her soft lips continued to press against my neck, her teeth nipping at my skin.

"You know I don't like to play games, Jasmine," I whispered, my hand tangled in her hair, forcing her head back.

My words did the trick. She pulled her shirt over her head, revealing more of herself to me. My hands roamed up her back, searching for one thing. My fingers swiftly undid the straps on her bra. She was about to expose her perky breasts when there was a loud bang against my window.

"Fuck. I thought we would have enough time," I said, throwing my head back into the pillow.

I slipped from underneath her, tossing her the blanket to cover herself. As I got out of bed, I grabbed the pistol off my nightstand. A heavy sigh escaped me as I approached the window. "What the hell are you doing here?" I growled, shoving the window open.

Rodney climbed inside. Every muscle in my body tightened. He made my skin crawl. Rodney was loyal but manipulative. He knew how to pull strings in the gang, and Cayden liked that quality in him.

He glared at me and moved his gun in a circular pattern, motioning for me to put mine down. He was wearing all black, as though he was ready for a heist on Grand Theft Auto.

"Let's go," he stated.

I could see Damen behind him, too lazy and too big to fit through the window.

"Wassup, man? How you doi—" he said, peaking his head through the window and glancing to the left. He saw Jasmine in my bed, and he grinned like a kid who had a secret. "Why, hello there."

Jasmine raised a hand and rolled her eyes before settling back into my bed. My eyes stayed on her for a minute before Rodney's movement caught my eye. He walked over to the night-stand, his eyes scanning Jasmine without interest. He searched through the drawers before he pulled out the extra pistol I kept stashed.

"Let's go, Spencer. Cayden is ready for the attack on enemy territory, and he wants his best man there," he growled.

"I don't know why he sent you. Damen would have been fine," I said, folding my arms across my chest.

He made his way back over, still swinging his gun around. "If I had a choice, pretty boy, I wouldn't be here either. I'm just following orders," he snapped.

The hairs on the back of my neck stood up. One wrong move, one pull of the trigger, and he could kill any of us. I held my hands up before putting my gun back into the top of my jeans.

"Alright, man," I said, snagging a black shirt from the floor. I pulled it on and grabbed a hoodie.

Through the window, darkness settled on the city. It was lightly misting around Damen's big head. I looked at Jasmine, shrugging my shoulders. She knew where the door was, and this wasn't the first time this had happened.