Chapter Twenty-Four [Resurrection]

Hey, Spence. Welcome back to a Southside free world. I know you're hurting, but you did it. You're alive.

My mind tried to wake me from my slumber. You need to check on Mason.

My eyes flashed open. I whimpered as the pain overtook me. The darkness settled back on my mind. After another minute, my eyes opened again. There were voices in the room with me. They were familiar, but I couldn't make them out. It was too difficult.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah... Hurry. Yeah, he's got a pulse." One of the voice's muttered. Two fingers touched my neck.

I wanted to push them away. They made my skin burn, but I didn't have the strength. I yelped as my body was lifted from the floor.

The voices continued. "He's good... He's just hurting. Come on, keep moving."

The other voice spoke, "What about Mason?"

The other guy let out a soft sigh. "I, I tried... He just, there was so much blood. I couldn't find his pulse," the voice echoed with a tone of defeat.

Mason. No. I didn't want him to lose his life. We couldn't leave him in the pit. I was thinking the words I desperately wanted to say, but I had no control over my body. The darkness returned as the voices fell silent. I knew if I accepted unconsciousness, it would be an escape from the pain. It all went black.

When I awoke again, my eyes fluttered open to an unfamiliar room

When I awoke again, my eyes fluttered open to an unfamiliar room. I jolted up in the bed and winced in pain. I regretted my decision. A firm hand touched my chest and it forced me back down onto the bed. I turned my head to focus on Cam's face. He was leaning forward from his place in a small wooden chair beside my bed. His eyes seemed soft as he smiled at me.

He removed his hand from my chest. "Hey, sleeping beauty. Be careful. No need to move to much. You've been out for a while."

He clasped his hands together in front of him, resting his elbows on his knees.

My eyes trailed down my body. "How long?" I lifted my left arm, noticing it had been placed in a brace. It was fitted firmly to heal my broken arm.

My eyes ran down my exposed chest that was wrapped in multiple layers of white bandages. They appeared to be fresh. I attempted to raise up my right arm, but an IV was pushed into my skin. It prevented me from moving too much.

"It's been two weeks now. We've had a doctor come by every day to change your bandages. He also taught me how to administer the morphine to you. He said he was thoroughly surprised you had survived your encounter."

I blinked a couple of times as I stared at him. I had been out a whole week. What about Adrienne? "But... I don't even remember. How did I get here?" I asked, glancing around the room.

Cam chuckled as he reached down by his feet and unscrewed the lid on a water bottle. He took a long sip before he offered it to me. I reached and took it from him, taking a sip. The water quenched a dry aching sensation in the back of my throat.