I.IX. MYRIAH

⟣⟡⟢

⟣⟡⟢

MYRIAH

The day of Jon's departure came too soon. At sunrise, he woke Myriah, sat on her bed and kissed her hands and forehead. The both of them were stricken with sorrow because of their parting.

After long consideration and some persuasion on the part of Sam, she came to the realization that Jon's act was necessary in order to get ahead of the White Walkers. Though she still wished he wouldn't go.

"How are you feeling this morning?" He asked concerned, as he wiped her hair from her forehead.

It was true that she had not been feeling very well in the past days. She had woken up with a burning hunger a few times already and walking the stairs to the library now exhausted her. This was nothing she had not felt before, but telling Jon would only make worry him more. "I am fine. You promise me not to do anything stupid." She said to him with a chuckle while he played with her hand.

"Alright, I promise. And you take good care. Keep Ghost by your side at all times. I cannot bear the thought that someone might harm you."

Myriah kissed him tenderly. "I will be careful."

And she prayed to the Father, the Mother, and the Warrior to keep him safe from harm when he walked out of the door.

The castle and his inhabitants changed once Jon was gone. Sam was quieter than before. He spent most of his time with Maester Aemon, who was bedridden and at the end of his days.

Gilly and Myriah came to the silent agreement to look out for each other. Almost everywhere Gilly went Myriah followed and the other way around. Like Jon had advised her to, she kept Ghost by her side. Some nights the wolf would even sleep in her chamber.

The boy Olly had joined the company of the elder bitter men, the ones that sat silently in the dark corners of the yard. The other brothers only argued whether Jon made the right decision or not, instead of fulfilling their duties. Myriah realized that only a few agreed with him.

"I care little about them wildings," Hobb said when she sat in the kitchen scrubbing potatoes. "That girl is more proper than half the folks out there." He nodded at Gilly, then in the direction of the yard. "I never fought 'em, but Snow did and he lived with 'em. If he trusts the wildlings well enough to let 'em past, then I'm with him. The boy's the Lord Commander and no fool on top o' that."

Myriah chuckled at the simplicity of the cook's mind. He trusted Jon blindly. "I can only speak for the Lord Commander when I say that more brother should think like you."

"You can't count on 'em, m'lady. They're all miserable." Hobb hacked the potatoes in four pieced with a big kitchen knife so incautiously that she did not wonder why so many of his fingers were missing.