•• 18 ••

I entered my room and banged the door shut behind me, and landed on the floor. I finally let all the tears out.

It had not been more than twenty minutes when I heard someone knock on my door.

"Sarah, come out, hun." Mom's voice reached my ears from the other side of the door. "We are so sorry. We should not have been hiding this from you. We did wrong, I know that. Please don't shut yourself up inside. We need you to be with us."

"Leave me alone. Go away." I screamed in between my tears.

"Darling, plea-"

"Just go!!" My cracked scream cut her off and she left.

And I sat there on the floor for hours, crying. Just like I had two months ago when I was kidnapped.

I did not know when did I fall into a deep slumber.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

I opened my eyes to the voice of someone knocking on my door again.

"Take your food, Sarah. You have not eaten anything for so long." I heard mom say.

"Where's Dad?" I asked.

"He is downstairs. He is not eating anything too. He is just sitting on the bed and is lost in his own thoughts." She said.

My chest ached for her. There we were, me and dad, shutting ourselves up and not talking to anyone. And there she was, caring for us, wanting us to at least eat the food that she made with so much love.

I heard a light sob from the other side of the door and I was dug twelve feet under the ground. It was clear that the sob had escaped unintentionally, but there was so much pain in it.

It were me and dad who were clashing right now but she was the one suffering the most. She was stuck between both of us. She hated to see our happy home gone so sad.

I quickly unlocked the door and opened it.

"Mom," I tried to say it out loud, but due to the crying, it just came out as a whisper.

"Sarah," she ran in my direction and hugged me tight. I hugged her back.

I reached for her face and slid my hand on it, in order to find the forehead. After finding it, I kissed it and hugged her again.

"I am sorry for misbehaving. I love you so much." I said, my voice muffled against her shirt.

"I love you more," she whispered while sliding her hand down my hair.

Her voiced was wet.

"I'm hungry." I said, my voice wet too.

"Me too," she chuckled between the tears. "Let's go eat something."

She helped to the kitchen.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

"You want to meet Trevor?" Mom asked when I was done with eating.

I nodded in reply.

"I'll take you," she said, taking my hand and we both marched outside the house.

"You didn't tell dad that we're going." I said once she started the car.

"I'll just text him."

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

I felt the butterflies come to life in my stomach as he came and sat next to me, looking at anything but me.

Mom had told his mother that I had got to know about my birth disabilities and everything and I wanted to clear a few things out with Trevor. His parents did not know about him being a criminal, so she skipped out that part.

"You got to know," he said. It sounded more like a statement than a question.

"Why didn't you do anything to me," I said. "You could have beaten me, you could've just strangled me to death but instead, you brought food for me. Hell, you could even kill me with hunger but why didn't you-"

"I couldn't," he cut me off. His voice was low, yet powerful.

"What do you mean you couldn't. I was all in front of you. It wasn't so hard. All you had to do was just-"

"Because I fucking couldn't. I just couldn't. It was so hard." He cut me off again, his voice loud at first, and then soft. "For a moment, I even felt like- I-I felt strange."

My eyes welled up again. He felt for me. He had feelings for me. Does it mean, those feelings?

Tears started rolling down my eyes.

"You love Rebecca," I did not know how those words escaped my lips.

"I-I didn't love her. I just liked her and it was back then. Now she's dead. I never loved her. But, your father should not have gotten her sentenced to death. She didn't deserve that." He said.

"She murdered someone."

He sighed in response.

"It wasn't her who did it. It was me."

"WHAT?" I stared at him, wide eyed.

"She put all the blame on herself in order to save mine and my dad's reputation. She did it all for me. She loved me and-and I tried hard but I could not love her back. I don't know why." His voice cracked and my heart shattered for him.

He was a strong person, I did not expect him to cry.

"But when I look at you, sometimes, I see her," his voice softened as he continued. "I know, you both are completely different, but, I don't know why do I see her in you."

He tried his best to hold back his tears.

Trevor Scofield might look like a stiff rock to the world, but who knew he was so soft inside. So soft, yet so broken.

And I did not know that I had been falling for him, and I was falling deep. I had been falling for him since the day I first saw him.

No, I was not falling. Instead, I had fallen.

I had fallen in love with him.

And if they say love is deep as an ocean, tell them that for some people, it's even deeper. If they say that the universe expands to infinity, tell them, that love goes even beyond that. If they say once you get lost in a desert, it's hard for anyone to find you, tell them that if you get lost in love, you get so stranded that you can't even find yourself.

And I was in the love just the same as that. One that was deep, one that crossed infinity and the one that I lost myself in.

My feet involuntarily took me towards him, my arms involuntarily locked around him and my head involuntarily landed on his chest.

He stayed still for a minute, as if taken back by my hug.

But then he hugged me back and landed his chin on my head.

And I could sense that it too, was involuntary.

Everything was involantary.

And everything was beautiful.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

A/N: THIS IS NOT THE END!!!! There still are a few more chapter to go and an epilogue.