35

"When will I get to have my first grandchild?" My father asks and Evelina chokes on her martini coughing and hitting her chest repeatedly

"When will I get to have my first grandchild?" My father asks and Evelina chokes on her martini coughing and hitting her chest repeatedly. We had arrived at my father's hours ago, he welcomed Evelina with open arms and they've been talking for hours about how the island where we spent our honeymoon was, and about the Toussaint, they even talked about her shop opening and he apologized for missing it. We had dinner and now we are sitting outside since the weather is good drinking alcohol.

"It's a bit early for that, dad" Davina says.

I caress Evelina's back until she is able to breathe "Evelina and I aren't planing to have children anytime soon," I tell dad.

"It's you isn't it? You don't want children of your own not after what happened" Dad says and my eyes warn him not to proceed. His eyes locks with mine for a minute and then I look at Evelina who's clearly confused.

Not after what happened.

His words ringing in my head. Why would he try to bring the subject up with my wife around?

I am yet to talk to Evelina about it, I've even contemplated telling her. I won't gain anything from opening a subject that she most probably won't care about. I start to tap my foot on the ground.

"Actually, Daniel it's me, I am not ready to have kids yet I've just started my business and I don't feel like it's the perfect timing," Evelina says placing her hands on my thigh she looks at me and gives me a reassuring smile.

Placing my hand on top of hers, I look at father as he smiles at Evelina . I stroke her hands with my thumb and Davina starts talking to father about the winter fashion week in Paris. She wants him to attend as she will be closing the show and it's a big deal for her. They both get up and walk around the garden.

"What did you dad mean? What happened that made you not want children?" Evelina suddenly whispers.

Shit.

"Nothing, father just likes presume things" I lie, and I hate that I'm lying to her. I know she wouldn't appreciate being lied to but I can't tell her this. Not now.

"You enjoyed your time today?" I ask her in a desperate attempt to change the subject and she nods her head "I'm glad that I came with you, we should spend more time with your family,"

Now that's something I'm not welling to do. I rarely visit my family or talk to them except for Davina we always stay in touch. My father and I have a complicated relationship. I admire him, there isn't a single thing he wouldn't do for us, his children. However, the grudge I hold against him is too powerful that I can easily overlook the all the good things he did for us.

I simply can't forgive him for what happened.

"You don't look well" Eveline comments as she scoots her body closer to mine, I wrap an arm around her shoulder "I just have a lot on my plate,"