CHAPTER 22

SAVANNAH'S POV:

His eyes widened in shock for a fraction of second as soon as I asked that question and he sat stiffly straight in the chair now.

"Look Bella he d-" Zach started.

"The truth Zach." I interrupted.

"What do you want me to say?" he asked in frustration, loosening hie tie.

"What it is exactly." I sighed and closed my eyes.

"Yes." he spoke.

"Yes what Zach?" I probed further.

"He was involved with Amelia but he broke up with her before your guys' marriage." he told.

For the first time in my life, I was utterly glad over the fact that breaking of heart had no sound.

"How long?" I licked my dry lips.

"Three years." he replied quietly and my eyes snapped open.

"Oh." I swallowed the lump forming in my throat. 

"I am so sorry Bella." he stated and looked at me sadly.

I threw him a small smile and cleared my throat.

"He really loved her." he said after a moment.

I shook my head and smiled sadly "Loves. He still loves her." I gulped.

"No Bella."

"Yes Zach."

He stared at me for a while and then got up pulling me in a hug.

"It's alright." I said feeling tired all of a sudden.

"Savannah?" he called and I hummed in response.

"What did you mean when you said you've been treated differently your entire life?" he asked.

"I've been abused my entire life." I whispered.

ADAM'S POV:

It has been two weeks ever since that gala night and I was in Miami for the past eight days to cut a business deal. And thankfully that honeymoon crap was postponed due to it.

As soon as I landed in New York again, I went to Office because there were some matters that needed my attention, urgently.

I came home after a long and tiring day to find Savannah passed out on the couch with her laptop on her lap and legs stretched on the ottoman.

I sighed putting my brief case down and walked towards her. Carefully plugging out the headphones, I picked up the laptop and placed it on the center table. She was watching.... Hotel Transylvania?

Ace and Bella came running down barking at me and circling around my legs. I put my finger on my lips and told them to be quiet and they obeyed looking at me with their puppy eyes.

I walked to the kitchen and grabbed their bowls filling them with biscuits and placed them on the ground.

Discarding my suit jacket, I sat next to Savannah and stared at her sleeping figure. She was beautiful to say the least. I have never met a woman so polite, so innocent and so kind. I was lucky to be her partner but it was the exact opposite in her case.

"How did I end up with you?" I whispered pushing some strands of hair away from her forehead.

"I wish you had a better life partner who would have cherished you and loved you the way you deserve. And you still like me? Even after I treat you like this?" I sighed and placed a feather kiss on her forehead.

She stirred in her sleep making me go still until her breathing evened out again. I laid her down with a cushion to support her head and left.

I was petting Ace when somebody's phone rang and Savannah shot up immediately and rubbed her eyes.

She answered the call and sighed loudly.

"Hello?"

"What??!! Oh my God I'm coming." she said and hurriedly slipped her feet in her shoes and ran to her room.

She came back after a while dressed in a casual jeans and black top.

"Adam? When did you come back?" her face paled.

"Half an hour ago. Is everything alright?" I asked curiously.

"It-It's your mother." she said and I heard the warning alarms going off in my head.

"What about her Savannah?" I gripped her arm and she looked scared.

"Sh-she's g-going in a card-iac arrest again." my grip tightened and she held my hand with her free one and stood on her tip toes to kiss my cheek.

"Don't worry she'll fight through it." And with that she dragged me outside.

My mind was swirling with so many questions and emotions, I couldn't comprehend even a single one of them.

"Come on Adam, sit." she said and I obliged.

We reached the hospital in ten minutes all the while she kept muttering soothing things to calm me down and it worked a bit.

I waited for no one and rushed inside. I saw my father sitting with his head in his hands and ran to him. He looked up and I saw his tear stricken face.

"Dad, what happened?" I asked frantically.

" I don't know Adam. She was fine this morning." he informed.

I saw Savannah rushing inside the OT in her scrubs and for the first time in a long time, I prayed to God.

After i don't know how many hours, the door opened and a nurse came out telling dad to come inside which only increased my anxiety.

Drew will land here in a couple of hours.

Dad came out after fifteen minutes and he looked broken. Savannah removed her mask and looked at me blankly.

"I'm sorry we couldn't save her."