CHAPTER 41

SAVANNAH'S POV:

I blinked multiple times and a nervous chuckle escaped my mouth.

"What? He's fine. Just take him to the Operation Theatre and he shall be fine." I said and gulped fearfully.

Shaking my head I opened my mouth again but a hand on my shoulder stopped me.

I turned around to look at Adam standing there with a grim face. I shook my head again "Adam, he is fine of course God dammit. What the fuck is wrong with you guys?"  I asked in frustration.

"Isa, baby, I am so sorry for your loss." Adam cupped my face and whispered.

I removed his hands and took a step back looking at him in disbelief.

Liar.

I kept shaking my head in denial. Scoffing I looked up "I am sure something can be done. I am a doctor, right? Everyone here is. We can figure something out." I said looking at the pale, lifeless body sprawled on the stretcher.

From the inside my resolve was a breath away from shattering but from the outside, I stood firm. My brain was starting to accept the reality but my heart refused to do so.

I looked in the direction of the waiting room and in that exact moment the door swung open again and Anne walked inside in a much dishevelled state.

My eyes shut tight and I gulped.

"Doctor Savannah, I am terribly sorry for your loss and I know it is not the right time but we require your assistance for a heart transplantation." Doctor Mark spoke from beside me.

I swallowed the painful lump in my throat and nodded once.

"Well why cannot you come before seven. I am free today and I miss you so much. This was supposed to be our day." I whined.

"Babe, you know duty comes first. Be there in an hour. Love you, bye." he replied.

"Love you too." I smile and end the call.

A hand waved in front of my face snapping me back into the real world.

"I-I-Give me a minute." I said and walked inside my office locking it behind me.

Splashing water on my face, I wore my gloves again and walked out without sparing anyone a glance.

Almost three and a half hours later, I walk out of the OT shrugging off my gloves and disposing them in a nearby trash can.

A lot of people had left already and I only saw Adam, Zachary, Drew, Ivan, Anne, Adrian and Emily sitting like zombies there.

Tears brimmed at the corner of my eyes and Anne looked up. In a second, sobs racked through her entire body and she gets up walking towards me with shaky legs.

Her arms wrapped around my body and everything hit me like a tons of brick in that moment.

My eyes were as dry as the Sahara desert itself. I felt utterly numb. I lost the most important person in my life. I lost Nathaniel James Ainsworth.

He left me. Just like that. So easily. Everything and everyone I ever loved, was taken away from me, one way or another.

I could not find it in me to return her hug let alone comfort her.

I was pulled away gently after a while and the next thing I know, my face was buried in someone's chest and strong arms encircled my body.

I could feel a crack forming in the shell that formed around me. I looked up at him with questioning eyes. "Why?"