Girl Meets Smackle

The friends were once again John Quincy Adams Middle School history class. Even Winter who felt a lot better after getting hugs from Riley. However this time class was different, Cory is holding a present.

"Ancient Greece--" Cory started but was cut off by Riley and Winter.

"What that?"
"What is that?" Riley said in simultaneously as Winter.

"What-thi-this?" Cory said pointing to the present. "This is a present."

"Is it for me?" Riley asked with puppy dog eyes.

"What's your game, Matthews?" Maya asked.

"Get on with it, what's in the box?" Winter asked on the edge of her seat with anticipation.

"Game? I mean no game. I just want to know who here wants this present." Cory asked as all students raised their hands except Winter and Maya. "Oh, Maya, Winter, what? You assume by playing hard to get, I'm gonna give it to you?"

"No, I don't care." She shrugged. "I just want to know what's in the box. For all I know this could be a trick."

"Well, yes. That's one of the many arrows in my quiver." Maya said smiling as Winter let out a small laugh.

Farkle shudders at Maya's words, "Medieval talk-- What are you doing to me, woman?"

"Riley." Cory says ignoring Farkle's comment.

"Yay!" Riley says as she opens the box. "'The Trojan horse?"

"Called it." Winter said mentally celebrating, Farkle could see the happiness in her eyes. Which made him happy.

"Surprise." Cory said, doing jazz hands.

"This isn't a present. This is one of your life lessons wrapped up in a class lesson wrapped up in a box of nothing." Riley pouts.

"How are you doing, bunny?" Winter asks Riley.

"I'm all worked up." 

"We know." Maya says as Riley puts back the frame into the box.

"You assumed because it was all neat and pretty that something good was inside. Ancient Troy was protected by walls. The Greeks couldn't get in, so they built a big wooden horse and left it behind. What do you think the Trojans did?" 

"They left it there because they were afraid that somebody was trying to teach them something." Riley says making Winter snicker.

"They captured it as a trophy and brought it inside. That night, the Greek soldiers crawled out of the horse and defeated Troy." Winter says bluntly, she knew this story. Greek mythology was her favorite, and Greek history fascinated her.

"What have we learned here?" Cory says, while Lucas raises his hand. "Mr. Friar."

"Don't make assumptions based on what you see?" Lucas answers but comes out more like a question.

"Riley, listen, I'm sorry I made an example of you. So here's a gift for you." Cory says making Winter scoff, it was clearly another trick. 

"Ooh-- No! I want to-- No! Pretty ribbon-- No!" Riley battles with herself.

"I'll take my chances with that, sir." Lucas says, Winter eyeing him suspiciously.

"No, Lucas. You have to assume it was no good because the first one was no good. Aren't you all proud of me, dad?" Riley says happily.

"No!"

Lucas reads the card out loud "Get out of detention free."

"Ooh, I could use one of those. Gimme that and I won't call you "Ranger Rick" all week." Maya says Winter immediately knew where this was going.