Chapter 13: Exploring the houses

3rd person POV

Henry nods in agreement, and the two go to bed for night. They sleep peacefully while they can, then the next day, the two get up, get some breakfast, and go out the door. Henry went left and Edward right, as they had discussed the night before. Henry went up to the door of the house the way he went, then knocked on it. An older woman answered the door kindly.
"Hello young man, may I help you?" She asked.

"Um, I believe you can. Would you happen to know much about the previous owners of this house?"

"I know a little. Very kind people. They had this very cute little girl and boy. The two would play together very often."

"The girl? Was she ever kidnapped or hurt?"

"Um, no. She was here ever since she was born. The previous owners were friends of ours."

"I see." Henry looked down a little, in a bit of a disappointed manner.

"Good sir, are you trying to find the kidnapper of the girl down the street?" The old woman pointed right, down the street.

"Sort of.. you see Ma'am, my father was accused of taking her, though he never has. He's never stolen a thing in his life! Let alone kidnap a poor innocent girl."

"I understand. Though, if that be true then you must be son of Mr. Jekyll."

"I am. I'm actually a twin of two sons of Mr. Jekyll. I am Dr. Henry Jekyll." Henry bows in a kind manner, then stands again as a gentleman would.

"Interesting, would you like to come in for a moment? I can make you some tea, and perhaps give you some insight?"

"Why not, I suppose Edward will figure where I am." Henry politely walks into the house, then is led to a nice room with a fireplace. The old woman has him sit, then left, soon returning with some tea. After the woman hands Henry the tea, an old man walks into the room.

"Who's this darling?" The old man asks.

"This is one of the boys of Mr. Jekyll." She says.

"Allow me to introduce myself sir, as I am in your home." Henry stands. "I am Dr. Henry Jekyll. My twin brother may come by at some point if I am not home soon, thought I should let you know, and you know I am the son of Mr. Jekyll."

"I do. Well it's a pleasure to meet you. I am James Setland, and this is my wife, Sally."

Henry nods in acknowledgement and both sit down with Henry.

"So what brings you out here dear? I haven't seen Mr. or Mrs. Jekyll since a month before the pandemic hit." James says.

"Right, well, you see sir.. my parents died during the pandemic.. I thought the illness killed them but it ended with an angry man and a sharp knife. Not too long before the pandemic, a man had accused my father of kidnapping his little girl. My father had done no such thing, but was murdered because of it, and so was my Ma."

"What a horrible thing sir! I am truly sorry about that."

"It'll be okay. But in short, my brother and I would like to find the murderer(s) and confront them."

"I see."

The three talked for a couple hours. They talked about the man, though they didn't know much. Henry explained that he and Edward used to play with the girl, and that's why they believe their father was accused. Soon, they hear a knock on the door. The old man opens it, and Henry watches from a distance.

"Dr. Jekyll! It's another one of you!" James exclaims.

"As I said, we're twins." Henry stands and walks to the door. "Did you find anything?"

"I did actually! The landlord of the house was cleaning it up because the recent owner left about two weeks ago! He said that he had come in one day to talk about the lease when he heard the renter mumbling about you living in our current house. The landlord said that it sounded like he was running after finding out that we live so close."

"That's brilliant!!! I was just talking to this sweet couple, hoping they could help a little. And they have been very helpful."

"Thank you, you're such a dear. Perhaps you'd like to join us as well, Mr.?" Sally asks,

"Jekyll, Edward Jekyll." Edward bows respectively, then stands again. "I would love to stay, but we're currently solving a mystery."

"We've heard. And it would be well off if you could find him." James says. He shakes both of their hands before letting the two leave. "Will you come back and talk some time?"

"We will sir, thank you for having me." Henry and Edward walk out, then back to their house. Once they get inside, they lay all the evidence and documents on the table, and begin reading. 

Some time passes, and the both of them have made a bullet board and connected the dots. The final thing Edward writes, is the name that he managed to get while at the house.
The name...

Simon Stride