LII

Mrs. Williams was an only child. When she married Mr. Williams, her family's business went under Williams family's business.

After her parents passed away, Mrs. Williams rarely contacted the relatives from her side of the family.

Originally, she had some close friends within the circle, but after so many things happened, her reputation was in tatters. No one was willing to be in contact with her, and since she didn't contact others much, gradually she was left all by herself.

When she was still alive, there weren't many people she was close to and now that she was dead, why would anyone be willing to send her off?

Even her husband Mr. Williams was currently impossible to contact overseas.

In the end, on her deathbed, the only one there was the son who she believed had betrayed and abandoned her.

James didn't hold a funeral for her. Funerals were meant for people to mourn but his mother's life had been surrounded by schemes and menace, even if he held one, it would end up as a joke.

Throughout the entire cremation and burial, Helen stayed by his side.

James personally chose the photo for the tombstone. It was taken by Mr. Williams when they were on their honeymoon.

In the photo, Mrs. Williams had on a dazzling smile, her face emitting vigor and confidence.

In James's memory, his mother had never smiled like that. In front of him, she was always caring and motherly. When she was with Mr. Williams, they were always a loving couple, but behind close doors, they were strangers that didn't meddle in each other's business.

When James received the call informing him about her suicide, he was on the brink of collapse. Even while he was driving, all he could think about was the previous night when she was finally willing to speak to him. At that time, he told her that he would wait for her to come out... Why would she kill herself?

But when her body was finally cremated, he felt unusually calm.

His mother had indeed forgiven him but she didn't want to live anymore.

She told him, "James, take good care of yourself." At that time, she must have already come to the decision.

Maybe when she said that, she had already regretting how she'd led her life to this tragedy. But it was all too late, she could no longer turn back after spending her entire life in hatred. When she was suddenly asked to put down the hate, she was probably confused as to how to continue, choosing the easy way out.

Death was able to rid her off her torment.

What about her? She was finally able to free herself.

James understood that to Mrs. Williams, death was much better than living.  .

When she was alive, the immense amount of hatred and sorrow she felt had driven her to become a demon.

When she was finally buried, James could no longer hold it in. He knelt in front of the tombstone, tears streaming down his face.

Regardless of her misdoings, she was after all his mother. She was the one who had suffered in pregnancy for ten long months and had brought him up giving him all the best.

In her entire life, even if she never treated others sincerely, he couldn't deny that she had treated him wholeheartedly.

After James and Helen left, it was already 5 am the next morning. From the dark skies, there was a tiny drizzle.

Now that it was still early spring, the night rain had them trembling in cold. James removed his jacket, placing it on Helen's shoulders. He took her hand and they carefully tread down the wet staircase.