LXI

James settled the discharge procedures, using his card to pay for the hospital bills.

Mr. Miller was extremely weak. He stumbled forward unstably, so in the end James pushed him down in a wheelchair brought over by a nurse.

-

A short while after the plane took off, Mr. Miller shut his eyes in discomfort.

The plane was a little cold, so James asked for two blankets, passing one to Helen.

She turned to glance at him, thanking him softly. She reached over and when she covered herself with the blanket, she caught sight of him covering Mr. Miller with the other blanket he asked for. Instinctively, she turned and glanced at him. When he finished covering Mr. Miller, she was worried that he might spot something and shut her eyes tightly. After a short while, she felt his light actions - James grabbed the blanket from her thighs, spreading it across her body.

Helen's lashes trembled, and she couldn't help opening her eyes. At that moment, James's features came into sight close to her face.

Only after he ensured that she was protected from the cold did he notice her stare. Softly, he said, "I postponed the filming for the advertisement. They'll continue when you're free."

Helen grabbed onto the blanket, struggling to keep her cool. "Thank you."

James remained warm, but didn't say anything, returning back to his own seat.

She turned to look out the window, the moon was bright and the stars shimmered in the clear skies, the stunning view melting her heart.

Three years ago, she had struggled to be resolute, but now his presence sent her into turmoil once again.

-

When they reached, it was already 12am. Helen's hometown was a small town, and since it was late, there weren't anymore cars going there, so James got two rooms in a hotel near the airport.

James roomed with Mr. Miller while Helen stayed in the other room alone.

There was a white wall separating both rooms.

Helen roused early the next morning, heading over to the other room. Mr. Miller opened the door, but by then James was no longer around.

Mr. Miller's condition wasn't good. He was sluggish, and even the few meters to the door sent him panting.

Helen held onto him, helping him to the sofa. Before she could speak, Mr. Miller spoke. " James barely slept the entire night."

"I can tell that he's really a good guy and treats you sincerely. I'm really glad that he'll be here to take care of you..."

Mr. Miller rambled on continuously, while Helen continued to stare at the clothes James had washed in a daze.

-

When he came back , he held onto a few bags.

They didn't bring any clothes as they had left in a hurry the night before. That morning, James specifically bought two sets of clothes for both Helen and Mr. Miller, rented a car, and bought breakfast.

Mr. Miller had difficulty moving, so James sat beside him, patiently feeding him porridge scoop by scoop.  

Helen sat in front of them, moisture welling up in her eyes as she took in the sight. She lowered her head, not daring to look any longer, afraid that her resolution would waver.

In her memory, James was always pampered and took things for granted, but somehow, he had changed at some point. Now, he was sensitive and knew how to take care of others, emitting safety and reliability that warmed her heart.