LIII

It was three in the afternoon when James left Jade Wave Garden, the time when the sun was fiercest.

He stood at the entrance with his head up high, staring at the bright sun in the sky. He suddenly felt the most relaxed and peaceful he had felt in a long time.

Ever since he were little till now, he felt that men ought to rule the business world, like the heroes in ancient history who fought on the battlefields in high spirits. He thought that all that romantic, lovey-dovey stuff was completely unimportant.

So he never thought about love or marriage whilst he was with Helen for seven years.

But sometimes, even if you don't think about it, that doesn't mean that love won't come.

There were many times when he was really confused. At first, when he and Helen broke up, he wondered why he was so angry. He was the one who obviously left the apartment in anger, and yet why did he linger outside the door, not wanting to really leave?

Then, he waited three whole hours for her but she didn't come out. He had felt a ball of fire in his heart burn, intensifying as time went by. Eventually, he stormed downstairs to his car and sped off. And because of how emotional he was, he got into an accident.

After he woke up, he was even more annoyed when she didn't come to see him.

When he bumped into her at the Royal Palace, and saw just how nonchalant she was, he got so angry he dragged her back home and slapped her.

He never understood... Why was he so angry?

He didn't understand for several months. It was not until recently, when she randomly showed her colors, that he stopped fighting her. Instead, he wanted to cheer her up. That's when he realized that something was wrong with him. He even wanted to buy her a ring... Later on, his mother was imprisoned for murder, then committed suicide and was buried. She loyally stayed by his side through it all, and that's when he finally understood.

At first, he bought her for five million bucks in the spur of a moment. Why did he stay with her for almost eight years after that?

Although he looked good, his background was good, and so many women would come flocking towards him, during those seven years, why did he not touch any other woman besides her?

All this... How could he have not realized it after so many years...

It was like he never understood that he'd long ago unwittingly fallen in love with that woman, Helen.

When exactly did he fall in love, he did not know, but it silently cultivated it's strength over the years. It let him love her deeper and deeper, till the point where... he had to have her, or nothing would matter.

-

James started the car and drove into the crowded road. He didn't go back to the office but to "Bliss for a Hundred Years".

Inside, there were a few couples picking out rings. The women's faces would glow with happiness when they tried on the rings.

James couldn't help but curve the corners of his lips as he walked over to the display and stopped in front of a pink diamond ring he had been staring at before.

"Sir, how may I help you?" asked the sale assistant lady with a wholehearted smile.

James gave a light nod, then pointed at the pink diamond ring to signal for her to take it out for him to see.

He brought the ring in front of him. It was far more breathtaking up close than on display.

James took a good look at it in satisfaction, then gave the sales assistant Helen's finger measurements.