Epilogue: Unanswered Questions

Parker

In the couple of weeks since the Rogues have attacked, things have returned to some semblance of normal. The Rogues have retreated into the woods to lick their wounds, leaving only relative peace between the packs. The Rogues did a lot of damage to the pack lands, though it seems as if everyone is okay.

Kohl has been an exemplary Alpha. He's quickly becoming the Alpha I knew he could be. The pack, as well as the other packs, are finding favor with him. The respect he's garnered is not by luck. He also seems less stressed now. His main source of stress appears to come from his family, Mickey specifically.

Mickey decided to stick around after the attack. He is a polarizing topic. The pack wasn't keen on having him on the lands nor were the other packs. Rylan has been the most vocal against him. We explained how he helped stop the Rogues and it assuaged some of their fears. Only time will tell if this is enough to convince them. I doubt this will calm Rylan.

I doubt much could calm Rylan.

I, on the other hand, have finally been able to relax. My dreams have stabilized now. I haven't had the nightmares since the Blood Moon. The nightmares have turned into dreams now. They are strange dreams of people I don't know but anything is better than watching myself die continuously. My only complaint is that my heat hasn't gone away completely. While my scent has died down significantly, it appears that the undercurrent is still strong, or so I've been told. The pack doctor, Pavius, promised that he would investigate this for me.

I find that my mate is still gone.

Kohl told me he was going into town today to get me a present earlier today. I thought it weird as he rarely leaves the pack lands. I wonder why he didn't send someone else. By the time I wake up from my nap, the day is half gone. I head downstairs to find that the house is quiet. I descend the stairs to see Mickey at the door. He has a knapsack on his back but stops, sniffing the air. He puts the knapsack down on the ground and turns to me.

"Going somewhere?" I ask as I walk over to stand in front of him, "That was quick."

"Are you going to bust my balls?" Mickey asks.

"Do you want me to?" I ask.

"It's been a real treat but I need to go now." Mickey explains, "You wouldn't understand."

"That you've been on your own for so long that being back here is...restrictive?"

Mickey examines me. He seems confused about something. He clearly believes he is more complicated than I can comprehend, as do most of the wolves here. Underneath the wolf exterior, he's much like any human.

"I get it."

"Do you? You've got a cushy life here. You wave, kiss babies and satisfy the Alpha." He smirks.

I laugh, "I feel like I rarely satisfy him, depending on how you mean."

"The douche loves you."

"The douche loves you, too." I remind, "Are you coming back?"

"What do you care?" He asks.

"You saved my life. We saved each other." I say with a nod, "You're family."

"I can't tell if you're insane or just a really good person. I don't see a difference between the two, really." He sighs, "Besides, you smell like honey and cinnamon. It's distracting."

"Yeah, Alpha Kohl has told me that a few times. No less annoying now. Not something I can help though." I say with a shrug. The two of us laugh before I say, "I hope you come back. They need you."