❥2: Awkward Pancakes

Thanks for reading! Here's chapter 2 for y'all!

*unedited* please kindly point out mistakes if you see them!

||November 23||

(Jessica's Birthday)

"So... Chocolate chip pancakes, eh?" I asked as Brooke.

"Yeah... Well, you really have Jason to thank for that. This whole thing was his idea," Brooke, my best friend said, gesturing towards her brother.

"Oh, wow. That was really nice..." I blushed. "Thanks Jason!" I called out to him across the kitchen.

"No problem," he smiled, flashing his dimples and ruffling his dark brown hair as he walked over to me. "I got you a present!" He grinned cheekily and handed me a gift box.

"Oh, Jason, you didn't have to--"

"Save it for after you open it," he pointed towards the box, wiggling his eyebrows.

"Okay..." I ripped the wrapping paper hesitantly. It was wrapped surprisingly nicely actually, in red paper with a little white bow on top.

"Oh my God, you didn't--" I busted out laughing when I reached inside the box... Only to pull out another box, ever so nicely wrapped in orange.

"Don't worry, there's only like..." He counted on his fingers, "Maybe 5 boxes? I think so anyways..." He grinned.

"Pshh, only" I rolled my eyes and laughed, sitting down on a bar stool and pulling out the third box so far. This one was yellow.

"I'm sensing some kind of a rainbow here maybe?" I chuckled as I pulled out the fourth box, which was wrapped in green.

"You're so very welcome." He grinned and sat down on the bar stool adjacent to mine, watching as I unwrapped the fifth box. Then pulled out the sixth.

I carefully opened up the sixth box, only to find it empty.

"So... uh..." I chuckled nervously, "What's the present?"

"I'll have you know, that these are very high-end boxes. Isn't that present enough?" He stood dramatically and gasped, putting his hand up to his mouth. I simply eyed him with annoyance.

That little pest.

"Hey! Jessie and Jason, stop flirting and get over here!" I heard Mandy, another one of my friends, call from the opposite end of the kitchen, as she waved us over. She had all of the pancakes set out on platters atop the kitchen island.

"We were so not--"

"I was just--"

We both shot out an array of comments but we're shushed by Mandy.

"Whatever you say, lovebirds," She held her hand up to silence us, chuckling and rolling her eyes. I still don't understand why everyone keeps saying stuff like this! We are just friends.

"Happy birthday!!!" Everyone cheered as I walked up to the land of chocolate chip pancakes.

"Aww, guys this is so sweet!" I smiled, crushing them all into a group hug.

Man, I have really great friends. Around the kitchen island were my 6 favorite people: Brooke, Jason, Mandy, Cody, Emma, and Indy. Indy, by the way, was my little havanese, whom I considered a part of my family. He was the cutest little puppy in the whole wide world and anyone who thought or said otherwise basically deserved to die.

- - - - - - - -

"Plates, anyone?" Mandy called in a sing-song voice as she held up the paper plates.

"Me! Me! Meeeee!" Jason and Cody shouted instantaneously as they bounced up and down with their hands raised like anxious little schoolgirls.

"Ladies first," Mandy scolded, rolling her eyes. She handed the plates enscribed with 'Happy Birthday!' out to everyone but them.

"Hey! What about us?" Cody yelled.

"Yeah! We men need to eat too!" Jason joined in.

"Whatever, here ya go," Mandy laughed, throwing the remainder of the paper plates at their heads.

"Bitch," Cody mumbled as he leaned over to pick up the plates. I then saw a plastic cup of water flying at his back.

- - - - - - - -

Mandy and Cody decided to head out soon after we finished our pancakes, claiming they had some sort of big exam to study for.

Brooke, Jason, Emma, and I spread ourselves out on the indigo-colored rug in front of my TV.

"What time is it, anyways?" Emma asked.

I grabbed my phone off the coffee table and responded, "11:46."

"Wow, it's getting so late... I think I'm going to head out. I mean with that exam and all..." Emma got up slowly and grabbed her purse. Exam my ass, I know her classes and there isn't an exam for awhile.

"Oh no, sister. There is no way in hell you are leaving me to third wheel with these little lovebirds," Brooke got up and grabbed her purse and phone.

"We're so not--"

"We're just--"

Jason and I both yelled in frustration.

"Silence!" Brooke held up her hand. "Emma and I are leaving now. Bye!"

"Sorry guys but..." Emma smiled nervously.

"Oh, and Jess, I know it's your birthday and all..." She eyed me and pointed at the both of us, "but just remember: Jason is my brother, so please don't give me reason for nightmares!"

"Brooke!" Emma slapped Brooke's shoulder, but I could see her grinning and holding back a laugh. I cringed.

"Eh, she'll get over it," Brooke chuckled, then smashed me in a huge hug. "Happy birthday, Jess! I can't believe you're 19... Oh they grow up so fast, don't they, Emma?" Brooke said dramatically as she gestured towards Emma, who chuckled.

"Thanks..." I chuckled both awkwardly and in amusement as she walked away.

"Yeah, happy birthday!" Emma gave me a quick hug before joining Brooke by the front door.

"And then there were two..." I turned to Jason, chuckling.

- - - - - - - -

Thanks for reading! And Happy Thanksgiving!

Goals of the Chapter:
20 reads
2 votes
2 comments

Alex <3