Chapter 37

I insert the key to the keyhole and turn to unlock the front door. I don't push it open though. For a couple of minutes I try to mentally prepare myself for what's to come. With a sigh, I push open and once I step a foot inside the apartment I can already see Carter standing there looking me up and down.

He has his arms crossed on his chest, jaw already clenched and a frown on. He motions with his head for me to follow him in our bedroom. Once we get in I remove my jacket and boots to be more comfortable and unbuckled my belt bag. We both keep quiet and while I look at the dark wooden floor and my toes curling against the soft fluffy rug under them, I can feel his eyes roaming my body.

"What were you doing with him?" he's the one breaking the silence.

"I got too drunk last night and the girls were drunk too. Maya couldn't drive and I didn't want to bother James so Maya call Axel and he came and took me to his place, " I still don't lift my head to look at him afraid to see how angry he is.

But as I think about it more actually, I should be the one being angry. I didn't do anything wrong! So why am I sitting here playing with the end of my dress like a child getting scold from her parents because she ate chocolate before lunch? I frown and let out a sigh before lifting my head to face him. He looks pissed but so do I.

"Why didn't you call me? I would've have come!" Is he for real now?

"Oh, would you now?" I scoff shaking my head. I can't believe this.

"Of course I would and don't use that tone on me!"

He thinks that by raising his voice at me that I'm going to back off.

"She did call you! Six fucking times but you weren't picking up! So what the fuck where you doing at midnight and you couldn't pick up your phone? Did you really not see Maya's missed calls?" I stand up taking two steps closer to him while letting my tone match his.

"I did see them that's why I called you but you weren't answering. As for why I didn't answer right at that time was because I was having a good time with my friends and I put my phone on mute. I was slightly tipsy as well and yeah I didn't hear it. I'm sorry!" He runs his hands through his hair and down his neck giving it a squeeze as his eyes bore into mine.

"Why didn't you answer when I called you?" He asks.

"Because it was already too late Carter and I didn't hear it," I shrug.

"I could've come to pick you up from his place and bring you back here it wasn't too late. Why didn't you hear it? What we're you doing?" He takes a step closer to me.

"I was fast asleep Carter that's what I was doing, " I yell before trying to calm my self down.

I go and plop down on the bed again and he comes and takes a seat next to me.

We remain silent for the next couple of minutes clearly both deep in our thoughts. I can understand why he is pissed. Hearing that your girlfriend spent the night with her male friend that you're not fond of can anger you. I hope he understands though that I didn't do anything wrong and that he is at fault.

"You know what the problem is Carter. The fact that we called you six times and you didn't answer and Axel didn't even let it ring once before answering. He dropped whatever he was doing and came to pick me up immediately even though he didn't need to do that. It wasn't his job to pick my drunk ass from the bar and take care of me. He's not my boyfriend, you are. That's the problem!"

I lay down and look at the ceiling the entire time I'm speaking to him as he mimics my position.

"And on top of that, you're the one angry at me when it should be the other way around. We didn't do anything. He didn't touch me. He didn't remove my dress. He was very respectful and knew his boundaries. I shouldn't even have to ensure that to you. You should have trust in me. You should know that I wouldn't cheat on you." I need to get it off my chest.

I'm actually glad that for once Carter is staying silent and listens to me carefully.

"Our relationship is going to shit, I'm not going to lie to you. You said to me you realised that and you'll try your hardest to save us. I won't say that you're not trying because you are and so am I and I really appreciate it. You need to have more trust in me though cause without trust and communication this relationship can't be saved. On the topic of Axel now just because you don't like him that doesn't mean that I would stop being friends with him. I told you this before and I thought that we had solved it and move on. Clearly not though from your reaction today."

It's nice to be able, to be honest with one another. I'm really curious now to see what his response will be to all this.

"I'm going to start by apologizing for my behaviour today and last night. I should have checked my phone more frequently or I should have put it on silent instead of mute. Maybe I would've been able to hear it that way and I shouldn't have jumped the gun when you told me you were at Axel's place. I don't like him and I'm not going to pretend to be okay with you being around him but I promise I would try to accept it and not let it face me. I don't want us fighting in general and I sure as hell don't want us fighting about Axel. I know we're not doing great in our relationship at the moment but I'm not giving up on us. I love you and I want to start showing it to you more. I know that I kinda brush you aside but I wasn't doing it intentionally and I hope you know that. We've been together for almost 3 years now. We had good moments and bad moments but so does every other couple out there. We're young and we're definitely still learning about things. We're not going to be perfect at it but you're right. Communication and trust is a must in a relationship and I do trust you. I know that it might not have seemed like it today but I do. It's him that I don't trust and I don't want him to hurt you or anything. Again I'm sorry, I keep screwing things up and I don't want to lose you."

At this moment we're both laying on our sides looking into each other's eyes. He brushes a few strands of hair that fell in my face when I go to move closer to him.

Brushing my nose up against his I close my eyes for a second.

"I'm going to be honest with you because I love you and I do want us to work it out hopefully. But you should try harder to keep me because someone else is definitely trying to win me, " I see he eyebrows furrow in confusion probably trying to guess who's the bastard that's trying to steal his girl from him.

I told him that because usually when you really love someone you'll fight to keep them close to you and this might also work as a wake-up call for him.

"I'll try my hardest. I'm not gonna let anyone steal you from me. Your mine. I love you." His whole face softening when he says those three words to me and a small smile appears.

"Good. I love you too."

I smile and move closer to him. Closing our eyes we brush our lips against each other before indulging into the pleasure of our lips moulding together.

I hope we work things out... I really do.

A/N

I guess she never learns, does she?

Hey guys!

What do you think about their argument?

Another chapter coming soon...👀

Feel free to comment & vote! ❤️

Have a nice day/night! Xx

All the love - M ❤️