62. PUNCH

KAEA

I came outside, hoping to see Kyle. It was ripping my heart apart to even say this to him, but I had to. I didn't feel any better about it then he did. But this was better, right?

Could I be wrong? Did I have it myself to forgive him... and beyond? I did. I knew I did. And that was why I needed to stick to my decision. The beyond probably would only bring me pain, if the past was anything to go by.

I didn't see him anywhere.

But Abigail was standing there, hands clutching her elbows. "He keeps his promises, Kaea."

I looked up, surprised. How did she..?

"I figured that was the only thing stopping you would be something like that." She pouted.

"Are you sure you are not a mind-reader?"

She smiled a half-smile. "No. Trust me, if I was, I'd be cashing that shit in. But- you have changed him. Or maybe he changed himself for you. It's just...you'd be so perfect together."

"We'd be bad at it."

"You can't think that if you haven't tried. You get stuck in one place and then you both pretend the rest of the road is going to be the same."

"Please don't put any ideas in my head." I sighed. She smiled again.

I checked my phone. "Oh, shit. Andrew is going to be here."

I started walking away, but I should at least ask her, right? "You wanna come?"

She shrugged. "I don't have much to do."

We started walking, but she started slowing down, and then stopped entirely just as his car came in. She looked at me with panicked eyes. Panicked golden eyes. "No." She whispered.

What the fuck. What the-

Shit. Shit. Shit.

And before I could even utter anything, she ran. Into the forest behind the fair. Andrew came out of the car, with a remarkable amount of self-control and an appropriate amount of confusion on his face. "Wha-?!"

I just pointed in her general direction, and he changed into his wolf and ran.

My mind was whirring at hyper speed. How was it that two people that I knew, and was spending quite a lot of time with, never even got to know they were each other's mates?!

I knew Betas and Alphas could find their mates in a longer range, but...

Oh fuck, they had never been in the same place together. Holy hell? How? What kind of game was the Goddess playing?

But the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. Spunky, battered Abigail. The girl with the loud mouth. The thirst to prove. Heartbroken Andrew. The guy who spoke softly, the guy who needed someone like her to keep himself from falling too hard.

The more I thought about it, the less I wanted to think about it.

I just wanted to sleep. I wanted to stop thinking about mates and soulmates and how it all made sense. Because sometimes, it doesn't. It just doesn't.

KYLE

I punched the bag one more time for good measure. It swung wildly, and then I punched it again and again. All I could see was the punching bag in front of me, and all I could feel were my knuckles.

"Kyle?" A voice asked, tentatively. I took a deep breath, and started to unwrap the wrist wraps, only to realise I wasn't wearing any. I reached for a bottle of water.

"Hey." My mother came in and stood with the door open.

"I am a little busy." I said curtly.

She pursed her lips, and then closed the door, sitting beside me on the bench. I tried to keep myself from gritting my teeth.

"I was trying to find you everywhere." She looked at the punching bag, still swinging. "It's been some days."

"Yeah." I liked boxing, but I didn't do it too much. Only when I needed to really let some steam out. It usually helped, not today.

She was looking at my knuckles. I turned them.

She looked me in the eyes. "I have something to say." I looked at her- she wasn't talking to me as only a mother, but also as a Luna. She would not take no for an answer, I knew that look. I saw it in the mirror everyday.

"Okay."

She tilted her head. "Kaea's mom told me. I know you are not taking to Kaea leaving well, but maybe there-"

"Leaving?" I asked. Those brochure flashed inside my head, and then her words. I think forgiving you is all I can do. Nothing more ever. Of course. Of course, she was leaving. And I was in no position to stop her.

"She didn't tell you?" My mother asked, surprised.

I remained stoic. She frowned, looking at me like I held any answers. Then her eyes became sad. I looked away. Why the fuck are mothers like this?

"Kyle... do you want to talk about it?"

"What?" I looked at the punching bag. "I just wanna go punch that thing again."

I got up, but- "That's not gonna stop her."

I stopped. "Why should I stop her? That's not my job."

She sighed. "Do you take me for a fool? I have seen you around her. And considering we are werewolves, it's not a leap of faith to assume that... My point is- I don't know what is stopping you. But you need to work this out."

"The goddess makes mistakes sometimes." I punched the bag.

She flinched, shocked. I cringed- I should have been more careful with my words. I was fully prepared to deal with the onslaught of 'she doesn't' and 'you're an idiot'. But her next words were not that.

"I agree. I don't think you and her were one, though." When I kept punching, and didn't answer, she got up. "You're a grown man, Kyle. I cannot tell you what to do. But this is an area you cannot study, and you have no experience in. But at least, tell her what you feel." My punches had grown faster. "She is not happy to leave. At least try, Kyle. For yourself. For your own sake." She sighed. "She is leaving tomorrow morning."

She closed the door and I punched the bag, releasing all of my rage. The bag tore open, the insides laying on my feet, the red cloth that bound it hanging from the ceiling limply. I sat on the bench again, closing my eyes.

Trying to stop thinking.

_____________________________________________
In the media box, you'll find, "Gravity by Sara Bareilles". I know it such a cliché song at this point, but it is still really good.

Hope you are all well.

K R Y S T L E