[29] Philosopher's Stone

After Aura left, Claire and Alicia had nothing more to do than investigate the underground city. Although the quest had stated that they need only to find the source of the infestation. . .they had wiped out the goblins and only now actually moved to complete the request. They passed over the crumbled, structures, the blood that riddled the streets, and the dead beasts.

'Hmm?'

Naturally, the main focus of their search was the building at the center of the city. A large door stood in their way.

"Alicia."

The girl tapped up like a dog, spun around, and delivered a kick that brought it crashing. She looked back with a grinning smile and Claire patted her head. They readily walked in, a sharp smell of the dead assailing their noses.

A stairway led underground and Alicia led the way, another door was broken down with a fist, and they came upon a room of blood and gore.

"What's this?"

She couldn't make heads or tails about what it was.

At the center of the place was a glowing red gem as big as a human child. Surrounding it were shelves of human. . .body parts. From limbs to eyes to blood, and there was a lot of blood. Blood quenched the walls, and there was blood within containers that had been made from stone.

————

"That was shocking," Clara Stone commented as soon as she saw the girls.

The scene of the dark-elf punching a Goblin King into nothingness was still fresh in her mind. It had been imprinted there. The dual image of a meek girl carrying a bag and following, in subservience, the human who had claimed himself the hero juxtaposed with that of the true Hero of Heart that had stood before raging flames and struck her first legend with a fist.

"Indeed," Claire nodded, ignoring the eyes that had placed themselves on them, "Can we turn in the request now?"

The receptionist smiled.

"This is a bit of a special request. I'll need you to say what you found within, I'll be writing a report, and we'll have your rewards processed, after validation, and given to you by tomorrow."

Claire nodded and spoke.

"A. . .Philosopher's Stone?"

"Is that what it is?"

Clara creased her brows.

"Yes. It's an item used for evolution. It's rare, but it can be obtained from some higher-level Mana Beasts found in dungeons. Either way, it's not something that should be in Aclair, much less its mines."

"So someone placed it there?" Claire naturally came to that conclusion after listening to the women's words.

"No," Clara shook her head, "We can't be sure. It's something that can also occur naturally. . .which is even rarer than the former way. Though, if this one is true, then we have an even bigger problem on our hands."

"How much of a problem?" Claire asked.

The receptionist sighed, realizing that the days of boredom were soon to be over. A part of her was glad, another was a bit troubled that her skill was right yet again, these two girls really would chase away the mundane.