What we had

Chapter seven: What we had (Emma's POV)

"Who do you think won, Elijah?" Madeline asked him. 

He's definitely going to say Nick. His Nicky. Nicky-Nick. 

He looked at Nick, then looked at me. Then at Liam and his nose scrunched up, then back at me. "Emma!" he screamed. 

I watched as Nick's face fell before Elijah ran up to me. "Ha!" I teased Nick before picking Elijah up and spinning us around. I kissed his cheek before tickling him. I sat down on a chair with Elijah beside me. I was on my phone and Elijah was looking with me. 

"Who's that?" he asked. 

"That is Harry Styles, isn't he pretty?" I asked while looking at a picture of him that popped up on my Instagram. 

"Not like Nicky," he shrugged. 

"You and your Nicky-Nick. Why did you say I won, Elijah? Why not Nicky?" I asked. 

"You're pwetty, and I had your chocowate," he shrugged. 

"I will get you chocolate any time you want," I laughed while Nick came and sat on the sun lounger beside mine, frowning and folding his arms across his chest. Elijah and I watched him for a moment, eyeing him. 

I set Elijah down and he walked over to Nick. "Nicky," he shook his trunks. "Nicky," he tried again when Nick kept ignoring him. "Nicky!" he whined. "Chocowate?" he handed him his chocolate bar but Nick didn't take it. So he ate it. "Nicky, I'm sowwy!" he shouted. "Nicky," he began getting restless. "I lub you," he mumbled before coming back and sitting with me. "Emma, I lub you," he looked up at me. 

"I love you too, Elijah," I grinned down at him. 

"Can I play games on your phone?" he stammered. 

"Sure thing," I handed it to him and stared at Nick who was staring at the water. I went and sat on the other sun lounger beside him and sighed. "He said I won because he ate my chocolate," I sighed. 

"That's cheating," Nick huffed. 

Elijah's more mature than him. 

"He's the referee," I shrugged, "Listen to whatever he says," I sighed while leaning back. 

"Emma! Look, it's you and Nicky!" He held my phone out. I looked at it and it was a picture of Nick and me that I had stored in the very back of my gallery. "Look!" he jumped up and down excitedly. 

I remember that day. We were at Santa Monica State Beach. He had a hat on backward, an arm around me and he was kissing my cheek while I grinned at the camera and took the picture. It was a date. It was during our spring break and it was when I realized I was falling in love with him. 

"Yeah, we used to be friends, you know," I said while reaching out for the phone but Nick took it before me. 

"Elijah, come here!" Finn called out and he waddled away. 

"Is that the only one you have?" 

No. 

"Yeah," I lied. 

"Then I hope you don't mind if I look," he smirked. 

"Nick, give it back!" I stood up with a huff. 

"Ah, what's the rush if you have nothing to hide?" he pulled his hand back. 

"Nick," I huffed leaning forward. He put his hand on my waist and lightly pushed me back. Tingles shot through my body which I tried to ignore while attempting to grab my phone. "Nick, stop," I groaned.