17 / Encounter

"I'm so tired of this damn island", Hyejoo hit the ground with her stick while cursing loudly. The other presence next to her was the same, but instead of cursing, he was just running his hand through his hair.

Trying to survive on the deserted island looking for foods was already a burden but they just had to be put into more misery by the damned animal that seems to lived on the mountain.

"From my calculation, it wont rain anymore"

Hearing Wooyoung's word, the girl sigh as she groaned.

"We should've died on that plane"

Even the optimistic one of them doesnt utter a word. He bite his lips and think of a way and suddenly stood up like his head has been hit by a truck.

"I dont care anymore! Either we get torn apart by that discusting animal or we die of hunger. I'm not forcing you to this with me but..."

"I'm with you!"

Hyejoo quickly butted in as they stare at each other. Their idea was crazy but it was more crazy to think they could survive by hiding behind the hut until they die of starvation.

They quietly walk down the stream carying a bottle they kept months ago which escaped the crash just like them. They each hold their handmade spear as their breathing fills the air.

The animal was growling in the distance which suggest it still kept its distance from them.

They reach the water stream and clean themselves first and filled up the fresh water. Suddenly the growling stopped as they stop in their track as well. They were still halfway through to their house, carrying a bit of fruits they could find along the way.

They look around from left to right as Wooyoung hold his spear tightly.

"RUN!"

At Wooyoung's cue. They ran like hell. They couldnt hear it but they could sense that the beast was coming closer. The rustling sound of the dry leaves could be heard right next to them when Hyejoo fell down by the impact.

"Shit!", Wooyoung curse and ran back, helping the girl up but it was too late.

The beast was right next to her head. Its saliva falling down in the ground next to her hand as she shiver. The beast didnt attack directly instead it observe. It was trying to see what the human would do like it has some brain that could tell hum to do something like that.

Wooyoung slowly walk towards as he raised his spear. Hyejoo stop breathing and close her eyes.

This is the last thing I have on my mind when I thought of my death.

She chuckle a bit at her thought. Indeed it was funny to her. She still couldnt even process the fact that she has been in a plane crash 3 months ago. Or was it really that long already?

"Hyejoo! Shin Hyejoo!"

She flinch at her name and instantly open her eyes. The beast was walking towards Wooyoung instead, leaving her on the ground when she thought it would have already swallow her up.

Wooyoung call her name one more time and motion her to stand up as she quickly did. It was no time to lag around.

"I want you to run as fast as you can!"

"Bu-"

"DO AS I SAY!"

Wooyoung's eyes was burning in fame. Thats when she knew she was not to talk back. She quietly pick up the water, might as well save them if they ever survive the situation.

Wooyoung eye's was fixed on the beast. Distracting it as much as he could so that the girl could ran away. He dont know what was he doing that he'd risk his life for the girl but he couldnt find anything wrong in that.

The beast growl as it lunged forward. Wooyoung spank the wooden spear as hard as it could and the beast growl again, moving away slightly.

"Aha- not so tough now are we? Bring it on", he tease the beast like his life wasnt depending on it.

The growling sound of the beast was echoing throughout the island as no herbivorous animals even dare came out of their hiding.

The beast springed forward one more time as Wooyoung widened his eyes. It was not a move he could save himself with his spear.

However a loud noise of gunshot was heard in the distance. The beast stopped instantly and purred before running away.

Wooyoung breathe in and out sharply before picking up the fruits and getting on the way before running home.

Hyejoo felt the door was shaking from the outside as tears beemed down her eyes.

"No..no!", she chanted. There was no way Wooyoung would have survive that beast.

"Its all my fault I shouldnt have left him alone!", she cried and fell down.

The door was opened forecfully as Wooyoung came running in. Seeing the girl crying on the ground, he ran foreward as the girl return the hug with wide eyes.

"I thought I lost you"