Chapter 28

"You're lucky," I said while looking over at Adeline at her vanity, her hands working to braid her hair. I let out an exhausted sigh while dropping my head on her bed, my brain no longer able to retain any more information.

"How?" She asked, a confused smile most likely on her face. I lifted my head slightly, my eyes rolling as I was met with her smile.

"Because you're not taking this test again." I answered. Adeline was a few points away from receiving a fifteen hundred on the test, meaning another hundred would've given her a perfect score.

Looking back, her Mom pushed her to study a lot so she could apply for early admissions for college. It was only a matter of weeks before she received her congratulation letters or not.

"You did good last year," she said as I felt the bed dip, "you'll be fine."

That was a lie.

"I'll try," I muttered before closing my eyes. Every time I study over at Adeline's place, or anywhere in general, I have a strong urge to quit and take a nap.

"Come on," she said in a sing-song voice while shaking my shoulder, "just a few more minutes."

"Adeline I'm not studying anymore." I stated while sitting up. We bickered childishly back and forth before her Mom stood in the doorway.

"Hey, mom," Adeline said after hearing her mother clear her throat.

She gave a tight lipped smile while resting her elbows in the palms of her hands, her crossed arms showing an unwelcoming body language. "That..." she paused, "Cole is downstairs. He'd like to talk with you."

I looked over at Adeline curiously, her interest and curiosity peaked by her mother's words. "O-Oh, okay." She looked back over at me while standing up from her bed, "I'll be right back."

She scurried out of her room behind her mother, leaving me to myself in her room. I pushed my books aside and scrolled through my phone as I waited for Adeline to return.

"Oh, and Cameron's here." Adeline said as I heard her enter the room. I saw Cole wall in out my peripheral, the unhappy look on my face masked before I looked up at them.

"What's up, Cam?" He asked, a certain glint in his eyes silently showing he was up to something. I gave a fake, tight lipped smile in return, his lips only curling up into a faint smirk.

Mrs. James called Adeline again, a small sigh leaving her body as she excused herself from her room. "Why the long face?" Cole asked with a devilish smile, his weight causing the bed to dip as he took a seat.

"You forced into having sex?" I confronted while standing from her bed, the close proximity of our bodies making my skin crawl.

He rolled his eyes while resting back in his elbows. "No. Adeline was very compliant. Would you like to know more?" He asked with a cool smirk.

I shook my head slowly, "what's your problem?" He looked at me uninterestedly, "you've played her more times than I can count and then you coerce her into having sex. What's your point, Cole?"

"Cameron," he said softly while moving his elbows out rest on his thighs, "I don't know why you're so concerned about my relationship, but if you could really fuck off it'd be much appreciated."

I opened my mouth to speak, but he beat me to it as he held a finger up to his lips. "Shhh...we don't need Damon finding out you kissed at that little party do we? I'd be a-shame if word got out about you cheating."

"I didn't kiss Grayson," I sneered lowly while crossing my arms. "And the fact you think Damon would believe any bullshit from your mouth is more than funny."