CHAPTER 61 - A CONSTANT FEELING

James' POV...

I was with my father in one of the suites of the hotel where he once held a charity ball. The hotel was my parents' first successful business acquisition after they made a good profit from the business that Lorenz's father had left them. Now Lorenz is one of the stock holders of this hotel and has the highest percentage as my parents acknowledge him that much.

I came here when I learnt from my mother that he's here for some sort of supervision. Even if he already left the position for me to take in, he can't let himself from not doing anything. He said he feels bored staying at home and just watching news from the television.

I was standing by the window and watching the sun sets. It was not as beautiful as the summer sunset but then a fine sight to be thankful. The sky was less cloudy that's why it was more enjoyable to witness the sun as it pulls down to rest. I looked down. From here where I was standing, I could see the gazebo in the man-made pond. Ah, that gazebo! The place where I had that unforgettable kiss.

"So how was the conference yesterday?"

I turned around, distracted from my father's voice.

"Ah, it was fine. They just relayed new projects for the establishment of another two branches, one in Buenos Aires and one in Madrid."

"Are you happy with what you are doing?"

"Of course I am! I am glad that my promises to grandma came true."

"Well, they should. But give time for yourself. You work hard... You need to enjoy life for a while. I just happened to take notice that you're being too serious lately."

"It's okay, dad. Maybe I am just too occupied by some troubling issues I have discovered."

"If you need help kid, you know I am here--"

"Don't worry dad, I can take care of it. I have my ways. I'll take it as a challenge. Some things like these happen in business world. Strong guts are necessary."

"Good. You have your point--"

"Ah, I happened to encounter Mr. Weston, there. I never thought, he is a good and a close friend of the founder."

"Oh..."

"We had a short talk after the conference--"

"Honestly... it was his idea. I mean that foundation was originally his but he asked his friend to do the work and he instead took care of the funds. He was happy that his promise came into realization."

"Was it for grandma?"

I came near to my father and took the glass of bourbon he offered me. There was an unsolicited shade of surprise that suddenly rose up from his face.

"Did he tell you?"

"I thought he was a cruel man. But then when he opened up a story of a love between the peasant's daughter and the Duke's son, I came to see his character in a different perspective."

Then there was a short pause. He had an ambivalent face. Will he drop down the topic? I saw him took a breath of courage and then finally spoke.

"He was there until her last breath. You know that your grandmother died five years ago, but that time you were unable to attend the funeral."

"Yeah, I remember. I was studying abroad and was having final exams to finish."

"So you didn't get the chance to see the old man being there... it was grave to see him being the last one to leave the graveyard."

"When I knew where he is staying, I learnt that he wanted to leave the mansion in Knightsbridge and return to the countryside for good, until he dies. At first I thought that he didn't want to accept my offer of buying it in exchange of a big amount out of his pride. I only get to understand his ulterior motive when I heard his story."