Chapter 10

For this chapter I recommend the song The Only Exception by Paramore.

***

Zero? As in saying he doesn't love anyone. Is that even possible? I grew up with a perfect family, and I love many people. But he doesn't love anyone. Has he ever loved anyone? Or is it just now?Has he never had the chance? Or did he choose not to love anyone? I need to stop, none of this is my business.

"So Emily how's your mom?" Dan asks, trying to take our minds off the fact that Dean just said he loves zero people.

"She's good, but next week is the five month anniversary for-" I pause, I don't want Dean to know. If he knew he might be like everyone else in my life, talking to me like I'm damaged, always feeling sorry for me. "Next week is the five month anniversary for my pet squirrel's death, day?" I ask more than say. Mack slaps her forehead, Xander looks at his hands and Dan laughs. "Yeah, her name was, um," I pause but before I can say anything Xander cuts in.

"Her name was Emma!" He look at me and silently apologizes.

Dean nods his head, "Cool, I had a pet squirrel once, but then she bit me so I set her into the wild." This made me laugh, does he actually think I had a squirrel or does he just help me out like Dan helped him after he said he loved zero people. I dismiss the thoughts from my mind.

"Wait so if you and Xander aren't dating then who are you dating?" I turn to Mack so she knew I was talking to her. She readjusted herself on the couch.

"Some kid on the football team," she tells me.

I look at her, "Does this kid have a name?"

She nods, "I just don't know it."

"So is it more like a fling then a boyfriend?" I ask her, because I was actually very curious.

"I don't really know," she tells me as she stands up and walks away. Someone is a bit moody. Mack has never been afraid to tell me when she has a boyfriend, and she sure was never afraid to tell me who. Dean stands up and looks at me.

"Are we going to talk about how you kissed me longer than any other guy in this room?" He asks me and held his hand out for me to grab, and I do. He leads me to the backyard, by the pool. At least I thought we were going towards the pool until he takes a turn and ends up taking me to the wooden swing. This swing holds so many memories for me. From the time Emma, Xander, and I were sitting and talking until the sun came up. Or the time I fell asleep on the swing and Dan carried me into the water just to drop me in, but of course I didn't know that he was going to drop me in because I was sleeping. Or the time when I came over in third grade to help Xander and his parents put up the swing. I didn't help, and Xander didn't either. We just swam in the pool cheering on his mom and dad.  "Emily, will you treat tonight as a date? Will you let me be your date?"

I nod, "Okay." We sit on the swing and he starts to rock the swing back and forth.

"Emily, the reason I said that I loved zero people is because my dad has been in jail for a while." Dean tells me, he doesn't bring up his mom. I grab his hand and hold it in mine.

After a while of silence I stand up and hold my hand out for him to grab, I am hungry and whether he is coming or not I am going to get food. "I'm hungry, do you want to get food?" He nods in agreement and takes my hand. We walk past the pool and back inside where all the snacks are. I grab a bag of Lay's chips and hop up, to sit on the counter. Dean sits in the chair that is closest to me. "I'm sorry bout the dare. I didn't really want for kiss to be a dare, but I mean at least it wasn't a bad kiss. Right?"

His eyes get big, "That was your first kiss?"

I look down at my hands. "Yeah." Before I can add anything he's kissing me. When he pulls his face away from mine I smile. I felt the same sparks that I felt when I kissed as a dare.

"That's how your first kiss should've gone. When anyone asks don't mention the dare." I nod.

Mackenzie walks into the kitchen and meets my eye and then she runs back out the door. I don't know what her problem is, all I did was ask about a boy. I jump off the counter and tell Dean that I am going to go to the bathroom. I walk towards the bathroom and Mackenzie is there. "Why are you avoiding me? We were fine at my house, we were fine until I asked about your boyfriend. What are you not telling me Mackenzie?" I say her name a little too bitterly. And the fact that I said her whole name.

She starts crying, "I'm sorry. I didn't even think about you when Xander asked me out. I didn't think about Emma. I was only thinking of myself. I'm so sorry, Em. It's just, well, I like Xander but I could never date him because all he saw was Emma. I'm not saying that I was jealous, okay maybe I was a little. But I never meant for us to date." She pauses, "I thought it was just an innocent crush. I'm sorry." I feel like I have been punched in the stomach, at least a hundred times. I was right. They both moved on. Mackenzie was jealous of Emma. And how long did Xander like her? Did he like Mackenzie before Emma died, or was this a new crush of his? I run from Mackenzie. I run from the party. I run from my problems. I run from my life. I can't face the world anymore, it used to be easier, but it's not anymore. I hear footsteps behind me. I turn and see Dean. He doesn't say anything. He doesn't need to say anything for me to know that I look like a mess. I know I am a mess. He takes my hand and leads me to a pickup truck. He asks for my address and I give it to him quickly.

The drive is silent, he doesn't dare to say a word. And I don't either. When we pulled up in the front of my house, I start crying even more. He rubs my shoulder, and even though I am a mess right now, I feel the electricity run through my whole body. I cover my face. He hands me a tissue and I dry my face. And turn to him. "How do I looks? Does it look like I just cried. Oh and um, thank you for the ride. I guess I'll see you next time I'm at the coffee shop."

"You don't look like you just cried. You look beautiful. And no problem, Emily. And if you need anything then let me know, okay?" I nod, and open the car door. He doesn't drive away until I am in my house. I am starting to head to my room, until I see my mom.

She comes toward me from the kitchen and hugs me. "Where's Mack?" She asks me as I hug her back.

"She's not coming, not for a while. Not for a long time. She can pick up her car but I don't want to talk to her right now." I tell my mom as I sniffle and start walking to my room.

"Okay. I'll see you in the morning," she says, by the time I am already up the stairs. I open the door to my room and close it once I am through the walkway. I take my sneakers off and place them in my closet. I slip out of my dress and put on a big shirt and shorts. I wash my face and brush my teeth. I know I should shower, but I don't have the energy for that. I walk to my bed and tuck myself in. I close my eyes and immediately fall asleep.

***

Did anyone else catch what Dean said? So how was this chapter? We're finally seeing some romance between Emily and Dean. And OMG Mack is a backstabbing... girl. HAHAHA, anyways I hope you enjoyed that chapter, I kind of hate myself for doing that to Emily, but just wait till next chapter. After you read tomorrow's chapter there is a big possibility that you WILL hate me. But that's tomorrows, we must only speak of the now.

I don't know if I'll be updating everyday because my aunt has covid and it's getting bad, which makes it hard for me to concentrate on getting chapters done, but I'm still going to try to update regularly, or close to regular. Please keep her in your prayers at night and I'll 'see' you guys tomorrow!

Lots of love, emma<3