12 | the return

" Patience is the key because when the right time comes, it will be very beautiful and totally worth the wait

" Patience is the key because when the right time comes, it will be very beautiful and totally worth the wait."

- Unknown

✰✰✰

2nd platoon got to their new inhabitant, OP 2, a building right by the river, and Catherine only wanted to lay down. But Chuck insisted she drink something first before doing that. So, Catherine stood warily next to him and Liebgott as she awaited a drink. She yawned and shook her head as if to rid her from it. Once she did, she walked over to Malarkey and they worked through a few papers, their voices hushed.

" Hey, guys," a voice said, " this taken?"

" Go ahead." Ramirez said quietly. Catherine turned a bit and saw it was Webster and a new guy.

" Lieutenant, Sergeant, this is Lieutenant Jones." Webster said, " Just assigned to 2nd platoon."

" Malarkey, Platoon Sergeant."

" McCown, Lieutenant, I work with Intelligence."

" Congratulations on the battlefield commission." the Lieutenant said as Catherine's eyes widened. She heard Lieb and Chuck chuckle behind her.

" The what?" Malarkey said as Catherine looked to Webster. Had he believed it?

" They're making you an officer, no?" the Lieutenant asked. Webster looked back at the men snickering.

" Me, no." Malarkey said," You must be thinking of 1st Sergeant Lipton." Webster just shook his head.

" My mistake." the Lieutenant said.

" So, you're without a platoon leader?" the Lieutenant asked.

" No, not any more, Lieutenant." Malarkey answered as Catherine eyed him warily.

" Right." the Lieutenant answered as Catherine saw Webster walked up to the group sipping their drinks. It grew quiet as Malarkey organized a few things and Catherine looked at the table.

" So, do you wanna introduce me to the men?" he asked.

" Well, some are sleeping downstairs, and the rest are right here." Malarkey said and Jones looked around. The group getting drinks just looked at the Lieutenant as Liebgott raised his cup a bit. Jones nodded. Catherine stepped forward towards Webster and stood by his side by the window.

" Listen, I'm not mad at you, Web," Catherine told him, looking up at him. Webster watched her.

" They're just upset, rightfully so, Bastogne was rough on all of us," Catherine said with a nod, " We lost, a lot of people, and a lot of good men," Webster nodded, understanding what she meant.

" Just try and take it easy on some of the guys, it was rough out there for them." Catherine said, " Hazel got hit out there, she's been gone since early January. We just don't know when we'll get to see her again." Webster felt his heart drop into the pit of his chest.