14 | the stages of grief

" Grief never ends

" Grief never ends...But it changes. It's a passage, not a place to stay. Grief is not a sign of weakness, nor a lack of faith...It is the price of love."

-  Elizabeth l

✰✰✰

When the guys heard about Hazel going on patrol, a suggestion by Speirs, they had all but lost their shit in a matter of minutes.

But Speirs rather ruthless, like Hazel, was not an idiot.

He knew Hazel had been injured and it had affected many of the men in ways that were indescribable, but he knew Hazel, just by the look in her eye, the she wouldn't let that wound hold her back from continuing to fight.

This is where she could try her knack for sniping for 100s of yards away. Speirs thought it would be a beautiful sight.

Hazel sat beside Malarkey in the basement as the two stared forward.

" You doing okay, Don?" she asked him. Malarkey looked over at her and sighed to himself.

" You could say so, Hazel," he said. Hazel gently placed a hand on his arm. She knew he was hurting from the 5 men lost on the line that were his closest friends. She knew how much it pained him to lose them. And she knew his heart had shattered. Hazel met his sad eyes.

" If they saw how far you had come, how brave you've been..." Hazel said softly, " they'd be so proud of you." Malarkey looked over and softly met her gaze.

" They were friends who were your family," Hazel said, " Easy Company, we're all like that, but those guys, they were your family and still are, because of this." Hazel gently placed a hand on Malarkey's heart.

" They still live in you, always," Hazel said, " God makes sure of it."

" Even if it doesn't feel like it?" Malarkey asked softly. Hazel smiled, watching his big eyes watch hers.

" Even if it doesn't feel like, they'll always be there, years from now. They'll always be in your heart because you loved them." Hazel said, " And that's important."

" You're one of the strongest people I know," Hazel said softly, " I'll always believe that."

" Hazel...." Malarkey said. Hazel gently squeezed his arm and gave him a soft smile.

" Thanks, Hazel, for that." Malarkey said gently, " I missed you." Hazel smiled softly. Hazel gently squeezed his arm again and laid her head on his shoulder. She knew Malarkey needed even just a smidge of comfort, even if it was in the form of just sitting here in the quiet basement of OP 2, with nothing but a calming presence. And Hazel would be there for him, for anyone going through the pain and suffering of losing your family, a friend who had become one. Because she had seen things at that hospital, that changed men. And she loved Easy, she didn't want to see that happen to them too.